Freezing rust penetrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have used PBlaster and LiquidWrench. For most penetrating lubes, my understanding was that for the most effectiveness, heating and hitting really allows it to work itself in there. Then along comes Freezeoff by CRC.
http://www.crcindustries.com/files/Freeze-Off Brochure.pdf
Anyone try it? Anyone think it sounds a little gimmicky? Anyone else wonder why in their product performance charts they have WD-40 as a better penetrating lube that PBlaster and Liquid Wrench?

I was wondering the same thing when I needed to take the fuel filter off a 92 chevy truck. Since I can't use a torch I thought this might be the next best thing. I also used it on brake fittings that I needed to remove. When sprayed, it comes out more like a fog than squirting. The directions say spray it for 10-20 seconds. I sprayed closer to 20 seconds and let it sit for a couple of hours. I was able to remove the fuel filter and the brake fittings with no trouble.It did not look like it froze,but it got cold. For me it was worth $5.99+tax at Autozone.

I guess but I figured you would be freezing the faster too (if not mroe so since that is what will have the most curface area) causing it to sit tighter. Thats one of hte reasons for heating no???

I asked one of my Federated retailers this week how is mechanics liked it. He said they were all very impressed and pleased with its results.

Not really oranges to oranges. There are some out there and this may be one that can bust rust with penetro90, though I do think penetro90 is at the top of the heap. What seperates penetro90 is the triple rust inhibitors and the lubricant qualities that it brings to the table in addition to rust busting abilities.

I just saw this stuff for the first time at Walmart earlier today, I figured it might work but it seems my other products like Kroil and Deep Creep seem to do the job so I didn't feel like getting it.

I use Wurth Rost Off Ice,works better than PB Blaster on the impossible jobs.....or else they just coincidentally loosen while my back is turned.

Quote:

I guess but I figured you would be freezing the faster too (if not mroe so since that is what will have the most curface area) causing it to sit tighter. Thats one of hte reasons for heating no???

Actually things do expand when heated. That will loosen things that are on the outside such as a brake drum. Freezing shrinks and should work great on something in the ID such as a bolt or fitting. Also, once something changes size it tends to break the corrosion some allowing for ease of penetration of the lube and ease of cracking it loose.

Makes sense to me. I think it's worth a shot. Most of my problems are with bolts and screws anyway.

I have used this product over the last few weeks while preping my rx-7 for racing. It really helps, especially after long nights, and being tired. The bolts came right off. It really helps to use a straw to pinpoint the chemical. Hope this helps

I've tried the stuff, but I don't like how it sprays it's penetrant all over the place as well. So I soak with Kroil, then use just a tech freeze spray can (which is usually just R134A coming out in liquid phase).

I try to heat the nut (expand), then cool the bolt or stud (contract). Sometimes it seems like it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back