Valvoline oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I changed my own oil, I went to VIOC and had them use Castrol GTX. This of course came with a Valvoline filter (VO-47 I believe) that is smaller than the Motorcraft filter I now use, it also didn't seem too fit well - it always had oil running down the side. When I began changing my own oil with a Motorcraft filter the leak stopped. I never had any trouble that I was aware of (excluding the poor fit), but I won't use them again.

Only Valvoline oil filters I ever have seen were the Maxlife filters and they discontinued them. Good filters they were.

I had a Valvoline Oil filter on my Integra from a dealership oil change, it held up fine I suppose (I don't really know how to tell whether or not an oil filter is good, though). I think the Toyota OEM's would probably be a bit better, aren't they made by Denso?

We have some Valvoline Instant Oil Change places around and not impressed. Never torn one apart but it is very light compared to others. Like it does not hold oil well, and for the FL820 Motorcraft size they are MAYBE 2/3 the depth. HUH!!! I like oversized filters not UNDERSIZED.

If you have a choice get something else.

Saw your question,immediately went to the garage and made a blood sacrifice to the lubrication deities to get you the answer. (don't worry a small nick only)

A VO-25 had been waiting to be cut open after being removed from my Camry on a ~5k miles OCI. It was put in place by local tire shop on a $5 oil change special and run with 5W-30 with many cold starts down to the teens f.

Notes
- an e-core clone
- ADBV works well. Was still holding substantial oil weeks after being placed on a pan to drain.
- no problems with the plastic core
- some pretty good grit was filtered out and could be seen in filter material (I'll check the air filter tomarrow)
- one pleat was obviously deformed and torn from the endcap
- the filter endcap was not well sealed to the media and gentle manipulation of the pleat to see the damage broke it further

I'll let you research the e-core and decide what you think but I have taken apart a Toyota Denso (Made in Thailand) and was very impressed by the construction and materials. Additionally for one of my applications the Denso is substantially larger than the recommended aftermarket filters. I would consider a Denso superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back