loaded vs unloaded calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
while looking for calipers for the civic, i've seen:
loaded, unloaded and semi-loaded....
what's the difference?
it appears loaded and unloaded refers to with/without pads, but semiloaded?

Maybe semiloaded means the pads are in the box?

I would get unloaded ones, so you can choose what pads you wind up with... especially if you only need one caliper. If this is your first time doing brakes, there really isn't anything to inserting the pads where they belong.

i'm doing the rotors and pads this weekend, but the clunk i hear makes me think calipers may be in order.

You should probably first inspect the wheels/brakes/suspension before ordering parts, otherwise you may be buying unneeded parts. The clunk may not be the calipers, and may be a worn tie rod end or something else that needs replacing.

i was thinking it's not the tierod or something else because it does it when sitting there.

If you have a caliper that isn't moving either the inner or outer surface of the rotor will be rusty... 5 seconds poking under the car will tell you this.

I bet your clunk is elsewhere, or you'd have tons of pedal play.

Unloaded= just caliper
Semi- includes hardware
Loaded- ready to assemble, includes pads

new rotors and caliper, no clunking.
however, the left tie rod end boot/seal had a hole and was down to about 10% of the grease left, so I pumped it full with my needle attachment....
so it could have been the tie rod end or the nearly seized caliper bushing on the same side.

Loaded calipers come with everything ready to go including pads and hardware (shims, clips, etc.)
Semi loaded calipers come with hardware but no pads
Unloaded have no hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back