Gunk valve medic, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle i bought last year, 12 fl,oz, of GUNK valve medic, it advertises, it Quiets Noisey valve lifters fast, dissolves gum, sludge, and dirt deposits... Is a powerful blend of quick-acting solvents, NOT to be conused wtih ordinary oil additives. It normlay quiets valve lifters in 5 minutes or less. contains Aliphatic petroleum distillate (68476-34-6), Napthenuc petroleum oil mixture (64742-53-6/64742-52-5). It also says, to our entire contents( all 12 fl.oz.) into crankcase... my car holds 4.5 quarts of oil. Normally, oil additves say to add no more than 6 1/2 oz. Wouldnt 12 fl,oz be to much! Would you drive around with it your oil for 3,000 miles?
I also saw, NAPA macs has their own version..
comments anyone?
cheers.gif

To my understanding, its mainly solvents. Most of those treatments say to add it, and immediately drive for half hour to an hour. That will not only circulate it to clean the lifters, but also burn off the solvents.

Solvent-in-a-can, that's what it is. Does it come with sufficient lubricity, I'm afraid not. Am I going to run that in any of my engines(new/old/wellused), no way in-Haell would I do that.

If you want something that seriously cleans all the nooks and crannies in your oil passage, hydraulic valve lash adjusters, consider AutoRx. It's made of a mixture of esters and it doesn't affect your motor oil, period.

Have fun with your solvent.

Without comparing CAS numbers, sounds pretty much like MMO, and plenty of people have driven around with that in their crankcase without any harm. Many have used MMO to quiet noisy hyd lifters with success, even after an ARX clean and lifters where still tapping on start-up. Everyone is so afraid of Naptha, but used judiciosly it is a very useful solvent and when mixed in small amounts with a stout motor oil adds some solvency to the oil without degrading the oil is my guess. If you know the engine is very dirty to start I would clean with Arx first but I and others have reported using it (MMO) with success to get rid of the lifter tick that is still there on startup after the cleaning. Use for a few hundred miles before an OC seems to be the safest. I'm pretty sure the Gunk brand stuff would be similar.

LOoks like a 50/50 thing to me... hmm interesting..
well, it comes in a 12 fl.oz. bottle, if i wianted to run this stuff, for an entire oil change, should i only use 6 1/2 oz? Dosnt say on botle. It dosnt sound like something you should be driving around with, with all 12 oz!
comments anyone?>

Update!!! I just called GUNK, and asked about valvemedic...
its suposed ot be used, all 12 oz. in your crankcase for an entire OCI. It dosnt have as many solvents ect in it. He said, its been around for 30 years, and theirs never been a problem he is aware of.. Its not so much an engin cleaner, but specifically, for noisey valves. It dosnt do all that much cleaning.
interesting

well, as for the 12 oz thing, he assured me i am usposed ot use 12 oz, not 6, and to watch for correct oil level fill.
But then again,he also said, mobil 1 was a true real synthetic, so i feel wearry of his statements.

Since it normally works in 5-10 minutes, and if you shake the bottle and it sounds like kerosene, then I would just use it as a 5-15 minute flush prior to an oil change.

If you plan on using it for 3k miles, consider stepping up the oil weight chosen for that run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back