92 Accord 4cyl, what oil to use? 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a 92 coupe lx honda accord. It takes like 3.17 quarts of 5W-30 oil. It's run on regular oil it's whole life. It has 175,000 miles on it. I just bought 4 quarts of royal purple full synthetic 5W-30 and some honda oil filters, would this be a bad idea to put into the car? If so.. what should I use, and if it is a bad idea, what are the side effects?

I daily drive a '90 accord coupe as my beater. Just turned over 120k miles. My car holds 4 qts of oil, are you sure yours is 3.17?

If you're using Honda filters make sure they aren't the Frams, 15400-PLM-A02 is a Fram.

I wouldn't waste money on synthetics with my accord. I've run Mobil 1 5w20, PP 5w30, Havoline dino, Castrol dino, Maxlife dino, etc. etc. The car doesn't care what you put in it, it just runs like normal. I buy cheap supertech or AA suregrip filters for the car and I use whatever oil is on sale. 5w30 works fine for all climates.

Mine always held 4 qts as well... You can use almost anything in it. No reason to run a synthetic unless you're doing extended drains.

However, I'm not sure I would switch to a synthetic at that high of mileage.

Yes it's 4qts. I was mixed up with my manual trans fluid since I'm changing that too. It is a honda oil filter.

I would not put royal purple in a car that old and mileage not because it doesn't deserve synthetic, because your going to have leaks. some have said auto-rx and they go to syn. but this car is 15 years old, how much longer you plan on driving it? I would just stick with dino

Have a 92 Accord EX with 135K miles. Used dino oil and Gp 3 synthetics throughout. Auto-rx done a year ago. Doesn't leak oil. Like all the others said, wouldn't spend the money for Royal Purple. Get a good quality dino.

'95 Accord here, 192,000 miles. Our engines share the same bottom end, mine just has V-TEC up top. I've used everything from the very thin M1 10W-30 to 15W-40 HDEOs. They all seem to work well. As soon as my little stash of GC is gone I'm just going to start buying Chevron Supreme 5W-30 on sale and use that. I've run their 10W-30 before and got a SUPERB UOA with it, and the 5W-30 looks even better.

Well, under the category of "the first liar doesn't have a chance," my sister's '92 Accord had 349,000 on the odometer last time I checked. Four timing belts so far and four years ago some pricey a/c work, but zero engine problems, all on Pennzoil dino. My brother-in-law bought her a new Accord a little under two years ago, but since they've moved to the snow belt, they kept the '92 for driving the winter months. That 4 cyl. appears to be indestructable with regular changes.

Just kidding about the first liar.....

Quote:

It is a honda oil filter.

No, it's a blue filter from your Honda dealership with the Honda logo on it. Honda doesn't make filters, so check the part # if you care about filter quality. There's a good chance you bought a Fram filter with a Honda logo stamped on it if you recently bought it from your dealer.

Use the Honda filters without fear. Even if they are Frams with a nice blue paint job. The only thing wrong with Frams is the price, but if you've already bought them, use them with confidence.

As far as the oil goes, a synthetic like RP can cause problems in a high mileage engine. I would be hesitant to use it, but i tend to worry too much
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back