Additives into empty vs full gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter whither you follow the directions and put fuel additives into an empty gas tank and then fill up or could you just dump it into a full tank and maybe drive over a couple of speed bumps and do some turns to mix it up?

I agree, generally I find it easier to just dump it in before filling. Sometimes though I can't because I occasionally visit the station during high traffic times and I have gotten some ill tempered people when I have to dump something in then fill up
laugh.gif

I have also dumped some FP, MMO, Lucas in while its parked in my lot at home with no ill effects.

In todays world few people give - show any consideration! Cell Phones in restaurants, etc., are a prime example! An extra minute pouring an additive in your tank should not upset most folks?

I dont like the thought of remnants of the potentially more active compounds sitting full strength as residues in the fuel filler line, which is just rubber. i much prefer to put the adds in first, so that as the fuel fills in, it sweeps the add into the tank.

JMH

Quote:

In todays world few people give - show any consideration! Cell Phones in restaurants, etc., are a prime example! An extra minute pouring an additive in your tank should not upset most folks?

amen...when they get really irate, i leave the car and go inside to browse for a bottle of water!

Quote:

I agree, generally I find it easier to just dump it in before filling. Sometimes though I can't because I occasionally visit the station during high traffic times and I have gotten some ill tempered people when I have to dump something in then fill up
laugh.gif

Don't kid yourself...I have had people do the same thing at the BOAT GAS DOCK.....I put in 12 bottles of techron in my tank and then the guy behind me starts rolling his eyes and telling his wife "hold on honey I guess we are going to be here all day" loud enough for me to hear. So, now I have to fill up.....all 275 gallons. So I put the pump on slow dribble sit back and crack open a diet coke and relax.....
laugh.gif

But it's always a guy in a 40 footer that I know has a 400 gallon tank anyway.

Did you consider that the guy in the boat behind you is more important than you. You should be happy that he does not ask you to pull out and let him go ahead of you. I say this because I know this guy. He was behind me at the Costco gas station. I filled my car gas tank and a five gallon tank for my lawn mower. Everyone gets in lines and it's really busy, good gas prices. He got out of his car while I was filling the 5 gallon tank and said, "Are you sure this is the place to do this?" I said, "Oh, you're reminded me", and pulled out my little bottle of Fuel Power and stopped to put some in and then continued. He said, and I want to quote him correctly, "Well, I never!!!". So I handed him the bottle with a couple of ounces left and said, "Here, we can fix that, just pour it in the gas tank", and left.

laugh.gif
That's hilarious. I can understand people being impatient, but I tend to have people come up behind me when the rest of the pumps have no one else waiting, for some reason. It's as if they're purposely trying to make me uncomfortable. There was one lady who waited while I wrote down my amount of gas that it took to fill up, miles driven, calculated it on my calculator, added FP60, went in the store and purchased a drink, checked out and the lady mixed up on the gift card twice, took about 10 minutes, and she was still out there waiting behind me, while all of the other cars had cycled twice.
laugh.gif

I agree with JHZR2 about adding the addative first. If you fill the tank with fuel first, and then the addative, the addative will sit inside the fill tube and only slowly seep it's way to the fuel tank past the tank's check valve,(where the tank meets the fill tube). This check valve is a spring loaded flap that closes so that fuel doesn't shoot back up at you while your filling and also does allow the hand help gun to click off so that you know that your tank is full. You really need the high flow of filling your tank with gas to push the addative past the check valve and get mixed in with you fuel.

Mix them thar molecules!!!!!!!!

Ain't no mo' trouble dumping in an additive when the fuel tank is closer to empty than full.

Doing so will ease one's mind in so many wondrous ways.

May even ensure regularity and lower blood pressure while preventing rust and corrosion.

I've had problems both ways!

1) About 20 years ago, I put a small bottle of STP gas treatment into my '79 Chevy that was 7/8 full, so there was much more than 10 gal in the tank, which the STP bottle said was the minimum. The next morning, the car stalled when I reached the end of the driveway! A lot of cranking got it running again, with a huge plume of white smoke. After that it ran perfectly, just like before, with no smoke. That was the first and last time that I added fuel cleaner to a full tank! I never had this problem, with any car, when I installed the additive and then added the gasoline. However, I wonder if I had driven the car immediately after adding the STP if it would have mixed-in properly, rather than settle around the fuel pick-up for 12 hours of sitting still.

2) I have a '97 Camry and periodically use a small bottle of fuel cleaner, always adding the cleaner before the fuel in this 18-gal tank. I have noticed that this makes low-fuel indicator inaccurate for about a month afterwards. Several years ago, I read something that said that the fuel cleaner can temporarily mess-up the low-fuel thermistor inside the tank, although I don't know why. However, it actually seems to help the fuel gauge, which tends to get "sticky".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back