Good cleaner/degreaser for soaking aluminum parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I've got a Series II 3.8 with a badly gunked intake manifold, and an even worse throttle body, as seen here:
old_N_nasty.jpg

grody_throttlebody.jpg

Basically I'd like to soak them in something overnight. IT doesn't have to be sensor safe, because I've removed them all, but it needs to be non-caustic. I was thinking of giving Castrol Super Clean or Kafko Oil Eater:
35437r.jpg

Anything else I should be looking for? I'd rather not use straight gasoline or kerosene.

Be careful with alkaline cleaners on aluminum, they eat aluminum. Castrol Super Clean is a very alkaline cleaner. I liken it to a liquid form of Easy Off oven cleaner, which is basically lye (sodium hydroxide). It'll clean, but I wouldn't soak it overnight. If you still want to try it, first try it on a test piece to see how potent the effects are.

How will I know what the pH of a cleaner is? Is there a certain chemical used in them that makes them very alkaline?

That Kafko Oil Eater stuff is water-based.

So, simple green would be a good dip for soaking?

I tried cheap Gumout spray carb cleaner and a brush on that TB. No dice, really. This needs to soak in something and soften up.

Carb cleaner didn't touch it? Wow - it does LOOK nasty.

I would soak it in 100% Simple Green for a day or two. Then brush it.

Maybe acetone would be best if that doesn't work.

Well, it looks like the oil-eater stuff isn't good for aluminum either. Looks like my only option is simple green :\

And there are reports of simple green eating away stuff too. #@$%!!

I hate aluminum parts.

I'd probably take it to a shop that does this kind of cleaning often. Let them deal with the nastyness of such a job. But I'm a softy and fear strong chemicals. Maybe a place can hot tank it, whatever that means.
FWIW, I have seen Simple Green corrode aluminum.

Yeah no doubt.
If you do it yourself...acetone is a super solvent, I doubt it corrodes aluminum (verify that first), and it may work well but it sure would be a dreadful experience cleaning it with such a volatile liquid. Would recommend an appropriate breather filter or at least do it outside on a windy day and stand upwind of it. Of course wear gloves and keep heat and spark sources far away.

Your caution is warranted:

Quote:

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php

I'm not sure where to find it though. I may end up just soaking the stuff in mineral spirits
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back