tire brands you will/wont buy again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin Hydro edge hands down for my application, I run these on both of my Saturns and with 35k+ miles on one set of tires and when I look at the from wheels I hardly notice any tread wear. Car is much more responsive, great dry/wet traction, will not hydroplane until one hits the 85+ MPH mark with at least 1-2 inches of rain on the road. Remember Saturns are light so hydroplaning should not be a problem. In the local mountains I could not get them to spin on the snow (reasonable driving of course), I’ll have to check out the Sierras to see if I have any luck next winter.
laugh.gif

Parelli P series. The sidewalls are so flimsy, if you run over an ant on the road, you'll puncture the side wall. I've gone through 4 tires in 6,000 miles.

PS - I check my tire pressure once a month, and rotate them every 3.

I was really impressed with the Hankook tires I had on my old Altima, those things just lasted and lasted, even with my aggressive driving style. They were the Mileage Plus GT series, and I believe they were rated for 100k miles.

Only Bridgestone for me. The two Potenza line tires that I've had have performed great for me. (RE950 & RE960A).

Have tried Goodyear & Michelin tires in the past and did not like them at all.

Ive had good luck with.
BFGoodrich. AllTerrain, Radial TA, & Traction TA.
Goodyear. Eagle GT (many many years ago)
Pirelli.
Douglas. Xtra trac. yea yea, i know.... but they do very well on my old Bronco. I bought them cause they were cheap "rim savers", but they just wont wear out!
Ive even taken then out 4 wheeling, and they grip well offroad too. Good bang for the buck.

Bad luck?
General. Ive had them on 2 shoptrucks & a 5th wheel trailer.
Rapid uneven wear, poor traction, and many many blowouts.
Not overloaded either. Bubbled sidewalls too.
I'd put em on my lawnmower i suppose.....................maybe?

Will buy again:
Firestone Destination A/T: very even wear, holds air well, good tread design, great rain traction, great price.

Might consider on a different vehicle:
Goodyear Eagle GTII: poor tire choice for a Ranger (was on the truck when I got it); wet traction was terrible, wear was uneven, tires would spin under any conditions. However, on a classic car that only sees sunny weather, I would possibly consider them if they were cheaper than comparable tires.

Will not buy again:
Sears Super Sport HT: very poor wet weather traction, truck can't even be driven over dry leaves, BUT tread wear is okay.
Continental ContiTrac: very poor traction, very fast and uneven wear. They were the OEM tire on my parents' 2002 Ranger 2WD. After 20,000 miles, they were toast. My parents are the speed limit driving type and do get their tires rotated.

Ther are no "Brands" I wont buy. There are tires I wont buy. Single worst Car Tire ever was the original Firestone 721. Truly dangerous in the rain. Firestone SZ50 on a C5 Corvette however were pretty good.

Single worst steer tire I have ever tried on a Big Truck was a Kumho. I disremember the number. Kumho MX also on a C5 Corvette was very good.

I'm with Gene K on this one.

Many people say they've had Goodyears wear out on them quickly, but I had a set of Eagle RS-A's give me over 50,000 miles of good service before the car they were on was totalled (could probably get another 10,000 out of them.) No big burnouts but lots of heavy cornering ('96 Dodge Avenger).

My current Saturn has 57,000 on a set of Kumho Power Star 758's..the cheapest tire TireRack.com has for my model. Will get another 5-10k out of them as well; and will more than likely put the same kind on again. Can't beat $200 for tires installed.

Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of high-mile experience with other tires, as I either traded the cars off, burned the tires off or the car itself just wore out first.
twocents.gif
burnout.gif

Quote:

I currently have Toyo Open Country ATs on my truck. Probably never buy them again because they are worthless in snow.

if you think those are worthless try the stock goodyear RT/S that came on my ranger.. I had both and the toyos were 1000% better.

I think its very important to research tires within the brand.

stay away from most oem tires as they generally are poor.

Ford pays 42$ for that tire.. they get a 42$ tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back