Not open for further replies.
Caterpillar 797B

Payload Capacity: 380 tons
Horsepower: 3370

Complete Specs

797B3.jpg

797B2.jpg

797B1.jpg

Wow thats one huge truck. I think I've seen this featured on Discovery Channel or Travel Channel. They mentioned there are only a handful of these in the world. Wonder what kind of fuel economy it gets. It would be fun to do an oil change on one of these trucks. I imagine the oil filter would be huge as well.

Interesting. My dad worked at Cordero Mine in Gillette, WY and back in the day, trucks this size were diesel-electric hybrids. A 'normal' sized diesel engine providing electrical power to the electric wheel hubs, which actually drove the truck. Braking was provided by a 'retarder', basically reversing the wheel motors to provide braking. Traditional brakes also existed, but for very limited use.

Strange that they've gone with diesel-only drivetrains in these monsters now.

i use to run a cat 769 and a 773. during the rainy days i would disengage the front brakes (you has a flip switch to do this) and take a corner a bit too fast while holding it at full throttle, tap the brakes which would bring the rear end out and power slide the thing around corners.

a buddy of mine was good at wheeling them. when they are loaded up 66% of the weight is on the rear end, which makes the front end very light. if you were in a low gear and ran over a large bump you could being the front end about 4 feet off the ground and then it would touch back down slowly.

Quote:

Wow thats one huge truck. I think I've seen this featured on Discovery Channel or Travel Channel. They mentioned there are only a handful of these in the world. Wonder what kind of fuel economy it gets. It would be fun to do an oil change on one of these trucks. I imagine the oil filter would be huge as well.

I saw that episode/special also.
smile.gif
I love trucks where you have steps on them to get to the driver's seat.
grin.gif
driving.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

A few more...

If you were wondering how they got the 797B to the work site...
10-insolite11.jpg

Why not just drive it? If anything, the two trucks are a little wider than the big truck. The added length doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back