Cars you OWNED and Loved to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current:
07 AUDI A4 2.0T MT6-modified full exhaust, intake and upgraded turbo (K04) +Chip. It's alot of bang for the buck, with plenty of luxury as well...and good gas mileage.

97 328I- My first forray into German engineering. It was the most confidence inspiring car I have ever driven. I felt at one with the machine...wish I still had it for weekend track use!

1978 volvo 242. If I were given a wish for any car in brand new condition, I would pick my old volvo. Then I'd throw in a performance cam, a suspension kit and some period correct volvo alloys and put 350K on the odo.
drool.gif

I had an old 1980 Thunderbird with the awful 255 V8/ automatic. Faded paint & 2.2 rear gears. (that wasnt a typo. 2.2) Got it cause wifey wanted a "family car". & something cheap on insurance.
The 255 pucked its guts and died. Right at about tax time....

In went a '84 5.0 h.o. out of a wrecked Mustang.
True dual exhausts, a 715cfm Shelby carb, 3.45 gears, gas struts, metallic brakes, 15" Muskrat wheels, etc, etc.
And a coat of Dupont Imron paint in "Phantom grey metallic" clearcoat.
It was a blast to drive, and would smoke a MonteCarlo SS without breathing hard.

And.... i still have a pic or 2...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/oas500/old117.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/oas500/old116.jpg

I had 3 cars that really stuck with me.

'79 280ZX - it was heavy, but had decent power and high top end. This was my first car and it was fun and super durable - taking a beating from a then 17 year old kid.

'85 Merkur xr4ti - this was a pretty new unique looking and driving car for the time. I had it about '90. It was pretty quick when the turbo kicked in.

'88 VW Scirocco 16V - This little hatchback hauled butt! It was happiest cruising at about 85-90. The little 4 banger would rev and rev and rev. Great brakes, handling and pretty quick.

Now I'm a dad, so I have to be more practical for a few years. I'll be back....

1978 Pontiac Gran Prix 301 V-8 horrible light blue, terrible in the snow, devious Quadrajet, [censored] rest her soul..

1982 BMW 320i no standout gray, 5 speed, 2.0 liter, handled like a dream...(IRS)...doubled money when sold, lost my heart

1973 Corolla 1200 Sedan Best handling practical car I've owned, after I put soem good tires on it...

1996 Impala SS Good handling and performance, combined with luxury and the ability to do 4-wheel drifts at will. I absolutely loved driving this for several years and would hop in just to drive. I've gotten tired it's huge size though.

1990 Festiva. I first drove one of these back when they were new, and later bought one for $650 and kept for 2 years. Total cost was $1200 and I put 25,000 miles on it. Company paid mileage reimbursement was about $5000. I wish I had stuck with this a couple of years more.

The Festiva is great fun to drive, with good tires on it.

2000 Miata This is the best overall driving experience I've ever had, but 400 mile drives soon left me wishing for more comfort. I wish I had kept it though.

2007 Focus ST I replaced the Miata with this. Best "bang for the buck" in a new sport compact. If it were RWD, it would be my car to run into the ground.

I've got my eye on the BMW 1-series to replace the Focus.
Hoping someone comes out with something lighter though, think, modern day Datsun 510.

1973 Ford Country Sedan Wagon. Could carry anything - full 4x8 plywood sheets no problem - in a cavernous back with a steel floor, built like a tank, AC so cold it sometimes blew white smoke, a bulletproof C6 and cruised effortlessly all day at near triple digit speeds. Went places I wouldn't take an SUV today. The dual hinged tailgate was awesome and with the power glass down, you didn't need AC. I beat the [censored] out of it and it asked for more. But it was THIRSTY. If I could find one today in good shape, I'd probably jump on it.

'64 Dodge Custom 880: 383, pushbutton Torqueflight, RADIAL TIRES (just like a Mercedes!)

'70 Nova 2 door with 5 options: 350 2bbl., vinyl roof, am/fm radio, Rally wheels, bucket seat interior 80 mph in 2nd...

'65 Volvo 122S ("Volvo recommend fitment of high speed tires for extended travel in excess of 110 mph") followed by a '72 145E

'80-something Ford Fiesta GT: a go-kart with a back seat

a FIERO, until the wife totalled it

'85 Civic Si: much more sophisticated than the above

'86 Acura Legend: 1st year

'65 Ford LTD 2 door: 390 police engine, aftermarket a/c on the transmission tunnel, power windows, lots of octane boost! Front bench seat was upholstered like a couch in a Burgandy Brocade

'88 Civic AWD wagon: 6 speed MT, could not get stuck in the snow under any circumstance we ever encountered

Ford Courier followed by a JEEP Commanche followed by an F150 SuperCab SB 300-6 followed by an F150 SuperCab LB with a 351...

and as below...

1957 VW (oval window) with a Porsche 1600 cc (dual webers) engine. A real Q ship - total fun to drive.
A 197? Olds Omega (aka Nova) with a 350 V8 and quad carb. Glorious exhaust and intake sounds and the last American hot-rod.
An '03 Toyota MR-2. Impeccable handling and great fun to drive.

Of the ones I owned the ones I liked best were:

68 Nova, it had a stock 70 350 LT-1. Fun car, it ran easy 13 second quarters on street tires. To bad my younger brother stuffed it into a freeway barrier.
mad.gif

70 Dodge Dart 340, auto, 8 3/4 posi. Boy that 340 loved to rev and waste tires! Just as fast as the Nova- Sold.
pat2.gif

79 Chevy Malibu 2 door. Unusual car in that it came from the factory with a V8 and 4 speed stick. It also had an instrument cluster and interior like the Monte SS models that came out in the 80's, and a performance tuned suspension with big stabilizer bars. If you ask me I think GM raided the parts bin for this car when they created the Monte Carlo SS. Replaced the 5.0 with a 350. This car was a drifter before the term was created, very easy to drive sideways for some reason. Lots of fun! Parted it out.

85 Monte Carlo, first new car. Didn't take long to pull the 5 liter and drop in a 350. Smooth ride -Sold it.

88 Dodge Diplomat ex police car. got it with a zillon miles on the clock but it's airconditioning was more like a refrigeration unit, meat locker cold on blazing summer days. a decent handler with good brakes and almost indestructible-Traded in on a new car.

88 Monte Carlo SS. Black with gold trim, nice car. Ripped out the 5.0L HO and dropped in a 5.7, Can you tell I'm not a 5.0 liter fan? -Sold.

90 Chevy Caprice 9C1 police package, 350 fuel injected. This was not an ex police or fleet vehicle, I bought it off the original owner who had babied the thing, Mobil 1 oil changes etc. This car was great for speeding, it looked like a cop car so they didn't bother you and people who you came up on from behind got out of your way. Handling and braking were excellent for a car this size. -Sold.

04 Dodge Neon R/T. This is what I drive today. I needed a cheap car that was good on gas to get to work. Went car shopping one day and came home with a new Neon because it was priced right. The car has been a surprise, 93k on it now and 0 problems. It has excellent brakes, 4 wheel discs with ABS, enough power to keep up with traffic, but where it really impresses me is in the handling. It was very good to begin with but I have been tinkering with the suspension and it's like a go cart now. Just think of exactly where you want the car to go and it goes there right now!

There is one more, a 68 Sattelite with a 426 hemi. This one wasn't mine but it might as well have been. I built the engine, 4 speed trans and the rest of the car and drove it all the time. It had a Dana 60 with 410 gears and widend cop car steelies. The engine wasn't stock, Arias pistons, purple shaft, 850 Holley DP, Hookers, 3" dual exhaust, flow masters with no tails etc,etc. This car was an absolute animal! Never clocked it, we had no slicks and the huge BFG radials out back would go up in smoke in any gear at any speed! Just push the gas pedal and when it went through 4 grand, watch out! Due to all the noise and shaking in the car, you'd be vibrating for like 10 minutes after you got out of the car.

I've had a few other cars, none of them worth mentioning. The ones here are my favorites.

1974 Cutlass Supreme Rocket 350!
1986 300ZX auto-Turbo
1987 Olds Toronado Trofeo FE-3
1998 3000GT SL auto
1996 3000GT 5-spd
1996 300ZX 5-spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back