01 Jetta TDI 10K miles on 5w40 Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

I ran redline 5w40 in my 01 VW TDI for 10K Miles. 1 quart added during this time. My car has 194,000 miles on it and still running strong. Gotta love these VW diesel engines.

Oil Analyzers tested the same with the following results:

Iron: 32
Chromium: 2
Lead: 3
Copper: 7
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 9
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 10
Boron: 9
Sodium: 4
Magnesium: 23
Calcium: 3203
Barium: 0
Phosphorus: 1238
Zinc: 1521
Molybdenum: 416
Titanium: 0
Vanadiuim: 0
Potassium: 0

fuel: Vis @ 40 c: N/A
Vis @ 100 c: 15.32
Water: 0
Soot: 1.2
Coolant: NO

TBN: 3.24
OXID: N/A
NITR: N/A
F-Soot: 1.20

Those are good numbers, but 10k miles is probably about the limit. The TBN at 3.24 was getting low, the soot at 1.2% was high (though not excessive). Though I don't know the VOA viscosity, 15.32 centistokes at 100°C seems too high for a 40-weight after 10k miles. (I had a Delvac 1 UOA a couple months ago with viscosity over 16cSt, so that's how I know what is good and bad.)

So, okay at 10k miles but probably not suitable for much longer.

That Redline 5w40 is not an exclusive diesel oil, either like their 15w40. That might make a difference.

I am not a fan of extended OCI nor am i a fan of synthetic oils. Having said that, i can't help but to be very impressed by this UOA, especially considering the miles on the car.

Keep doing what you're doing!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I am not a fan of extended OCI nor am i a fan of synthetic oils. Having said that, i can't help but to be very impressed by this UOA, especially considering the miles on the car.

10k miles is not an extended drain interval for TDI engines -- that's the normal interval.

And synthetic oil is required -- a TSB in 1998 back-dated the requirement to 1995 or 1996. Earlier VW diesels, either normally aspirated or the indirect injection TD, can still use conventional oils.

Quote:

Quote:

10k miles is not an extended drain interval for TDI engines -- that's the normal interval.

And synthetic oil is required -- a TSB in 1998 back-dated the requirement to 1995 or 1996. Earlier VW diesels, either normally aspirated or the indirect injection TD, can still use conventional oils.

My Wife Drive a 2005 Jetta TDI She Has over 180k So Far , We Use R/p Long Rider 15w/40 From Day One , change oil Filter every 15k, Never used a drop of oil as of yet. These TDI Are Bullet Proof , Waiting For The New Late 08-2009 TDI !! We Buy Every two years , Her Cars Look Show room New, Runs Great, But I'm Out Of Town a Great Deal so i Like her to have a new one .

Col.

Quote:

My Wife Drive a 2005 Jetta TDI She Has over 180k So Far , We Use R/p Long Rider 15w/40 From Day One , change oil Filter every 15k, Never used a drop of oil as of yet.

Col: you have been telling us for several months how good this Royal Purple Long Rider 15w40 is... so why haven't you provided us with any evidence?

If your vehicles are running so many miles, there is no reason why you can't be giving us used-oil test results

I still don't think there is any reason to run a 15wXX motor oil in any TDI engine. I'm open to persuasion, but you're not being very persuasive.

Quote:

Quote:

My Wife Drive a 2005 Jetta TDI She Has over 180k So Far , We Use R/p Long Rider 15w/40 From Day One , change oil Filter every 15k, Never used a drop of oil as of yet.

Col: you have been telling us for several months how good this Royal Purple Long Rider 15w40 is... so why haven't you provided us with any evidence?

If your vehicles are running so many miles, there is no reason why you can't be giving us used-oil test results

I still don't think there is any reason to run a 15wXX motor oil in any TDI engine. I'm open to persuasion, but you're not being very persuasive.

So he needs to pay $30 to get a UOA done just to satisfy your needs? Not everyone has to spend money on UOAs.

If the guy is speaking highly of the oil it is obviously working fine for him. Who would be recommending an oil that isnt working well for them?

Badtic: It may be a wonderful oil. But it's not well-known. He's using it in four vehicles, he's a member here at BITOG -- who is a better position to test this oil and show us whether it is good or not?

But enough about that -- I'm still wondering why anyone uses a synthetic 15wXX in any diesel engine?

05 TDI is a PD engine, sorry but I doubt 180k on a non 505.01 is possible without cam or lifter damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back