5W30 or 5w20 on 02 Acura TL-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have close to 105,000 miles on an 02 Acura TL-S. The owners manual states to use 5W20 and if 5w30 is used, to change to 5w20 at the next OC.

At 75K , I switched over to Valvoline Syntheic 5W30. Would this cause any issues to the engine (living in TX). I've been changing the oil out every 5k with the syn oil.

My question is -
1. Should I continue to use 5w30, and is valvoline synthetic a good oil - if I should use 5w30 what brand should I go for?

2. If I need to go back to 5w20 - what is a good synthetic oil - can't seem to find Valvoline Synthetic in 5w20.

3. What is a good mileage to change the oil out using synthetic.

Thanks,
TS

First, I'd stick with ANY API SM 5w-20 oil unless your car burns a lot of the 5w-20. In that case, go up a grade to any 5w-30.

For change intervals you have many options. Mobil 1 EP 5w-20 is good for 15,000 miles. Amsoil 0w-20 is should be good for 25,000 miles. Amsoil also makes an excellent 5w-20 XL oil. Contact Pablo on this site about Amsoil.

I heard on another forum that that Mobil 1 5W30 "....is ONE OF THE WORST when it comes to engine wear....has inferior additives" How would that compare to a Mobil 5w20. Should I switch over to Amsoil this late in the car's life.

BTW I did the ARX at 75K before switching over to synthetic.

Quote:

I heard on another forum that that Mobil 1 5W30 "....is ONE OF THE WORST when it comes to engine wear....has inferior additives" How would that compare to a Mobil 5w20. Should I switch over to Amsoil this late in the car's life.

BTW I did the ARX at 75K before switching over to synthetic.

It's all relative. M1 is a very good oil, but does show higher wear metals in ppm. Is this significant? Probably not, especially in a well made engine.

How long do you want to extend your drains? If you are only going about 7k, just use any regular oil.

At that mileage I would keep running the 5W-30. Any name brand synthetic today is an excellent oil. Keep using the Synpower if you like it. Personally I wouldn't go any longer than whatever Acura recommended for normal service for your vehicle. I think that is 7,500 miles. My routine is to use the severe service interval if running conventional oils and the normal service interval if running synthetic. Both should be very safe approaches. For Honda V-6s this usually works at to 7,500 miles or 3,750 miles. Most Honda fours call for 10,000 or 5,000 normal/severe service.

Thanks guys - so running 5w30 won't harm the car? I thought being in TX, with the heat, 5w30 should be fine - is this assumption correct?

I am running on Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Motor Oil right now - should I switch to SynPower, since I am close to 105K miles thats the reason I am using MaxLife.

Maxlife is avaiable in 5w30
Synpower is available in 5w20 (hard to find) and 5w30

About to buy a case based on the recommendations here.

If you aren't burning much oil, the 5W20 should give you better fuel economy. What kind of driver are you, do you floor it all the time, or do you take it easy? If you drive it hard 5W30 may be better, if not I would get M1 5W20 or Motorcraft (MC) 5W20 which is a syn blend. The 5W30 would give you more choices. Maybe you should do a UOA on your current fill, then try 5W20 and do another UOA and compare, this would show you if there is any difference. Also track your fuel economy to see if there is any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back