Toughest, most durable wax/protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Menzerna FMJ(Full Metal Jacket) sealant. Let cure for a least 24 hours, them wax. P21S or Poorboys Natty Blue. You won't be sorry.
Clay bar first, then polish, then the sealant, and finally wax after curing.

When you guys layer wax over a sealant, do you repeat the whole process each time, or do you just add another coat of wax over the sealant every few months?

Quote:

Quote:

Menzerna FMJ(Full Metal Jacket) sealant. Let cure for a least 24 hours, them wax. P21S or Poorboys Natty Blue. You won't be sorry.
Clay bar first, then polish, then the sealant, and finally wax after curing.

When you guys layer wax over a sealant, do you repeat the whole process each time, or do you just add another coat of wax over the sealant every few months?

The wax will degrade before the sealant by about 1/2. Waxing over sealant mostly is to give the look of wax as opposed to sealant which will be more shiney. The wet look. Some people prefer the look of wax. You do get some additional protection.

To answer the question, not in my opinion for the reason stated above. The conditions the car is exposed to will dictate when you need to re-apply, i.e. daily driver vs. garage queen only driven on weekends.

In theory, wouldn't the sealant last indefinitely, or at least much longer, if a coat of wax is kept on it? It would be sealed from the elements, so what wouldn't it degrade much more slowly?

Don't know the answer to that one. I'd guess the sun would cause some degradation, even through the wax.

That would be a good question for one of the companies that make the stuff.

I've spoken to product mfr's about this very issue (topping a sealant with a wax to improve durability) and no one can offer a definitive answer. It's one of those things that is unmeasurable and unquantifiable.

Most waxes have solvents and oils in them. How do they react with the sealant layer below it? If it does erode the sealant layer, what is the extent and how does that affect durability? These questions are unanswerable. Any number thrown out is pure speculation.

Topping a sealant with a wax is done purely for subjective appearance improvement. If you like the look, go for it. But please don't expect anything else from the experiment.

Quote:

Topping a sealant with a wax is done purely for subjective appearance improvement. If you like the look, go for it. But please don't expect anything else from the experiment.

Exactly, gets rid of the wet look some people don't like.

Issue I'm now trying to resolve is whether the polycharger for wax is for real or not.

Polycharger is for real. I'm just not sure it makes a lot of sense.

If someone is using a wax they like but wish it lasted longer and shined better, why buy a $40 Polycharger kit to improve its performance when they can buy products from proven performers like Zaino and Klasse?

I just don't see the value. And the fact that users have to play amateur chemist when using it seems rather silly. I don't know.... to me, Polycharger seems like an answer to a question that was never asked. But, it is unique and different, I'll give them that.

I might try it if I used liquid wax, but since I use paste, won't have the opportunity. The professional detailers I've talked to haven't used it either.

I believe Gary sold his business and is now "retired". Dunno who made his products but I'd heard they were just repackaged from another mfr.

Quote:

I just gotta do it...I confess ...I'm a WetPaint Glaze user..(sob)

It really is a terrific product that gets no respect. I've used it a number of years and it never fails to impress. Very good durability also.

Duragloss 105 done right.

clean the car with Klasse AIO, then apply duragloss 601 and apply 105 on top and finish it off with Duragloss Aquawax.

Last forever...

Quote:

Duragloss 105 done right.

clean the car with Klasse AIO, then apply duragloss 601 and apply 105 on top and finish it off with Duragloss Aquawax.

Last forever...

Wow! Forever?
smirk.gif

Quote:

The first coat of Klasse AIO on my Silverado seems tough and offers a reasonable depth of shine. My plan is for a couple more coats, then a couple of coats of Collinite Insulator Wax.

You can't layer KAIO due to it's cleaning properties, it's removes itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back