Motorsilk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard some roumers that Mercedes and BMW in Germany are testing Motorsilk out, and that they are very satisfied with the results from August/September 2006. Why are they doing so? Could anyone in the US find out?

It isn't allowed to give a link to it here, since they are not a sponsor. Do a search for Motorsilk on Google. Interesting to read about it. I have some 6000 miles left to drive, and I will have a UOA with it in the oil. I'll then compare it with the results I had without it(the same oil and filter). Time will show, but I have an idea about the results.

So its a boron additive? The amsoil I am running right now has boron in it. I didn't see how much boron motorsilk is supposed to have and of course it said boron based.

We need so UOA's from more brave souls.

boxcartommie22, have you been doing some UOA's (before and)after you started using it? Taterandnoodles, it seems like several oil companies have started to use boron, so clearly there must be some advantages.

molakule, explains it well in here..i believe he likes motorsilk..no i haven't done any uoa or voa...i feel that iam doing the very best maintainence for my vehicles...i change filter and oil every 1500-2000 miles.

Hi boxcar: I am with you, Clean Oil is good Oil as I also
change mine every 1500 to 2000 miles but don't post this
on this forum because everyone will bash you for it.
Just a warning

boxcartommie, I change my oil every 17-18000 miles, even though it is a diesel. I will do the UOA with the engine threated with motorsilk, when I have done 16000 miles on the oil. I have 6000 miles left.

Next time I change the oil, I will be using an oil called Synlube. I will go at least 50000 miles!!! with this oil(of course with the assistanse of UOA). I just like pushing the limits of what is possible and what is not.

hi guys, i just think you all are doing a great injustice to your engines by leaving dirty oil in your engines that long!!! oil collects all those burning by-products and acids..i feel acid is the enemy eats things up seals gaskets etc.sludge...it will be interesting on the uoa on motorsilk

Quote:

molakule, explains it well in here..i believe he likes motorsilk

From Molakule:
Quote:

Boric acid attracts water so it is not a wise to put that in motor oil. Acids attack bearings and other metallic parts...Dumping in some boric acid will significantly change your tbn and may increase corrosion.

Doesn't sound like he likes it.
confused.gif

motorsilk is not an acid it is like luboron a borate ester...i think he was refering to people who add boric acid to the oil such as borax...people actually tried adding borax to the oil...they talk about this in mpg forum

MOTOR SILK website:
Quote:

How Does Our Patented Boron CLS Bond® Technology Work?

Boric acid is introduced to a metallic substrate in the presence of water vapor. Interaction between the substrate, the water (H2O), and Boric Acid (H3BO3) forms a continuously self-replenishing film of boric oxide (B2O3) that bonds to the substrate, forming a corrosion-resistant barrier.
• The boric oxide spontaneously reacts with the air, replenishing the Boric Acid . The Boric Acid molecules form into crystal platelets, each of which is a triclinic lattice of molecules strongly bound together by macromolecular covalent bonds (see microscopic photo above).
• Aligned by the mechanical motion of the substrate, the platelets form stacked layers with very small (0.318 nm) spaces between. As a result, the inter-platelet layers are bound by weak "van der Waals" forces, allowing a very low coefficient of friction.

Is this stuff really supposed to last forever?
confused.gif
$35 is a lot for what is mostly 20W50 oil...

Tempest. On their homepage they say it will last almost forever, but I don't know.
Being a bit sceptical, I first tested it in my powersteering, that was making a lot of noise when I was driving. I had tried several things in a period of 25000 miles to quiet it down, with bad results. First, i had the car at the dealer and changed all the fluid with their Mobil1 PSF. Drove it some 4000 miles, and when it didn't improve, I changed the fluid with Royal Purple Max Ez PSF. No improvement.After another 4000 miles I then added some Militec1 to the PSF. No improvement. Then I decided to let it be, and was driving another 8-10000 miles. The noise got slightly worse. Then I added some PSF from Synlube, and it became slightly better over the next 2-3000 miles. I was close to give up the whole thing and had almost decided to take the car in to change the servo pump. I then discovered the Motorsilk add in a magazine and decided to give it a last try. I added half a bottle of Motorsilk ATF-fluid to the powersteering. When I had been driving 1500-2000 miles, all the noise was gone, and the steering seemed a lot better, and today it is working just perfect with no noise. When you try something and it works this way, it is hard to argue against it, even if I would like to.
This is the reason I decided to give it a try in the engine, as well. If this Motorsilk is as good as it seem to be, 35USD isn't so much. By the way, here in Norway Motorsilk cost 92USD(for the engine).

Yes I did.
It did reduce some wear components, according to the UOA, but nothing to really make a big fuzz about. Subjectively, I felt the engine became slightly smoother during idling and acceleration. I cannot say that it made any big difference in fuel consumption, either.
I tried it in the tranny, too, and the shifting improved a little bit.
Personally, when I try additives, I like to start with one or two tratments of Auto-Rx to clean up the engine.
I also think that the combustion process is very important to keep the oil clean, so if you can find a fuel additive(or something that improves the combustion) that really works, it would be worth trying.
I have been so lucky to find two additives that gives me good results, and one of them is possible to buy in the US(but this one is for dieselengines, and I haven't tried their gas additive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back