Better than Auto-RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
TallPaul,

The leak stopped with ARX installed into your power steering unit, then began to leak again once you changed the fluid.

Did you refill with a synthetic based fluid or a mineral oil base power steering fluid?

The reason I ask is, that after cleaning a seal with ARX, it is recommended that a mineral oil be run to shrink or stiffen the rotation seal material, to re-seal. Synthetics tend to keep the seal soft or limp.

I have been weaning myself from BITOG because I find myself getting frustrated with the amount of myth and mistake that is presented and accepted as fact these days. I checked in today to find this thread. I likely won't be back for a while, but I had to comment.

psudaytona wrote: '"Benzenesolfonic Acid".....that does it for me, its never getting near my engine'

Alkylbenzenesulfonic acids (benzenesulfonic acid, alkyl derivitives) are in many household detergents. In fact, Dreft, the number one laundry detergent for pediatric applications, contians Alkylbenzenesulfonic acids. This is the stuff that is recommended for infant clothing. Other household products that use alkylbenzenesulfonates include Armor All carwash concentrate, #@$%! and Span all purpose cleaner, Tide, and Gain. Psudaytona, you may want to go drain the oil in your engine - Alkylbenzenesofonates are even in motor oils. Chevron patent application number, 20070021317.

This family of chemicals shows-up as calcium in VOAs. (benzenesulfonic acid, alkyl derivitives, calcium salts)

Don't leave BITOG, GMorg. I have felt the same as you do. BITOG, like most forums, is full of poor posts showing many of the bad sides of humans. But there are some occasional gems posted by a relatively small group of people. You are one of those people and if you leave, that just makes the group of informative posters smaller. Posting less is a good tactic though which may ease your frustration but still provide some satisfaction. Look for the gold nuggets and pass over the turds.

GMorg, I agree with JAG. Your post are quite informative and well presented. I am curious as to why the Wynn's diesel additive is a concern over aquatic toxicity, based on prior posts linked to the MSDS. To me it sounds like this product would be in competition with LC20, and not ARX.
For instance a boost in Calcium to support the TBN of the host oil and also an antioxidant.

This site needs people with real world, technical knowledge, or it won't work. I hope you change your mind Gmorg, you are a major contributor to this board, and your posts are valued.

Quote:

how's the pump?

Well I've driven the Aerostar about 350 miles now with the new pump and it is working fine. Quieter than the old one. I am not seeing a leakage issue with the rack. Think it was just some residue from the other leak. So probably won't need any additives at this time.

Quote:

TallPaul,

The leak stopped with ARX installed into your power steering unit, then began to leak again once you changed the fluid.

Did you refill with a synthetic based fluid or a mineral oil base power steering fluid?

The reason I ask is, that after cleaning a seal with ARX, it is recommended that a mineral oil be run to shrink or stiffen the rotation seal material, to re-seal. Synthetics tend to keep the seal soft or limp.

I put Type F in (which is mineral) when I changed out the AutoRx treated fluid. I really hadn't noticed the leak come back, but my mechanic told me it was leaking when I had it in the shop so I had them replace the seal at that time. So guess I'll never know if it was really a problem or not.

BTW, I asked the service manager at the local Ford garage about using Dextron III in a Type F PS pump. He talked with his front end man and then told me they quit making Type F and the Dextron III would be fine, just to not use anything synthetic.

Quote:

Don't leave BITOG, GMorg. I have felt the same as you do. BITOG, like most forums, is full of poor posts showing many of the bad sides of humans. But there are some occasional gems posted by a relatively small group of people. You are one of those people and if you leave, that just makes the group of informative posters smaller. Posting less is a good tactic though which may ease your frustration but still provide some satisfaction. Look for the gold nuggets and pass over the turds.

That's hilarious.... and obviously wrong.
That's like saying only oil/lubrication-insiders here at BITOG are using all the correct applications for their vehicles.... those not in the business are wrong in their practices & interpretations.

It's possible some of the gurus are leaving here because they found out one doesn't need to be a guru to offer good suggestions at this place. The evidence most-here want is not inside a laboratory -- it's what's found inside stores that gets put inside our engines.

No insiders oil job required!
No oil degree necessary!
Best components here at Bitog to finding the right products for our vehicles?????....
.....an average brain - plus some common sense!

GMorg, you offer more than just opinion. Rare on message boards. Some just don't like it when others are more learned on a subject. Better posters tend to leave boards when the noise floor becomes so loud that you can't differentiate the music from the din.

Quote:

Quote:

and then told me they quit making Type F and the Dextron III would be fine, just to not use anything synthetic.

i saw type F at wally world tonight.

It's also listed currently at the Motorcraft website.

One Ford dealer parts counterman told me Type F is Mercon.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back