Cleaning an electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have an electric fan in the wall by my oven, which is used to suck out odors if desired, while cooking.

THe electric fan works fine, but it is covered in grease, stickly, gooey grease.

The PO of the house didnt always clean very well, and we found the had put a cut-out screen on the opening to try to catch grease going into the fan... We dont usually need the fan, so we havent had to use it much, and we have had som much else stff to do before moving in, that we didnt get around to it until now.

I took out the fan, after getting off the greasy screen, they had over it. Yuck.

The fan is coated in grease, as was the internal edges of the tube that the fan mounts into. I want to clean the fan and the wire that feeds it electricity.

The problem is, I don't want to use water, as it may ruin the bearings, etc., plus it is an electric item, so Id hate to ruin it... CRC electric contact cleaner doesnt cut the grease, and Im not sure if using engine degreaser type stuff is OK.

So, if you have a really greasy, caked-on slop on a motor, how would you clean it so as to not ruin the motor innards, and still have a usable machine?

Thanks,

JMH

I found this. I suspect this is similar to other "citrus degreasers" on the market. It says it can be used for electric motors:

ORANGE-SOLVE
Sizes: Aerosol cans, 1, 5, 55 gallon containers
Orange-Solve is a heavy duty cleaner and degreaser that will remove dirt, oil, and grease from most surfaces easily. Orange-Solve is all natural, biodegradable, water rinsable, non-toxic, and non-caustic. It is listed by FDA and FEMA as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) and is not listed on California’s Proposition 65 toxic substance list.
Use to clean knives, saw blades, tools, equipment, tables, painted surfaces, conveyors, hard surfaces, machinery, industrial equipment, materials handling equipment, and electric motors. Makes a superb engine degreaser ...just spray on...wash off!
Authorized by USDA for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants.

Brake cleaner might work, depending on brand, it's similar to electrical contact cleaner.
The exterior and the fan part can be cleaned with any good grease cutting stuff.
The motor itself should be covered or protected while doing that part.
Oil any bearings before re-installing.
You could call a electric motor repair shop or an electrician for advice.

Quote:

I found this. I suspect this is similar to other "citrus degreasers" on the market. It says it can be used for electric motors:

ORANGE-SOLVE
Sizes: Aerosol cans, 1, 5, 55 gallon containers
Orange-Solve is a heavy duty cleaner and degreaser that will remove dirt, oil, and grease from most surfaces easily. Orange-Solve is all natural, biodegradable, water rinsable, non-toxic, and non-caustic. It is listed by FDA and FEMA as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) and is not listed on California’s Proposition 65 toxic substance list.
Use to clean knives, saw blades, tools, equipment, tables, painted surfaces, conveyors, hard surfaces, machinery, industrial equipment, materials handling equipment, and electric motors. Makes a superb engine degreaser ...just spray on...wash off!
Authorized by USDA for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants.

Can you pass on a link??? I dont think Ive found the exact same product yet...

Thanks!

JMH

Can you remove it and power wash it on your driveway? You could bake the water out in your oven at 150°F. We're just brainstorming here, so pick a method that suits you.

Like dwendt mentioned, with any cleaning method I'd worry about the bearings in the motor and relube them after cleaning.

try CRC lectra-motive electric motor cleaner. it's discription may be misleading but it cleans and degreases electric motors
laugh.gif
I have used it myself and it works well.

there is a therory that brake cleaner will disolve the laquer insulating the windings in an electric motor.
pat2.gif

Isn't it really just the caked-on food grease you want off the exposed parts (like fan blades and motor housing), not actually 'reconditioning' or re-oiling the motor internals? I have found degreasers like Simple Green and 409 orange stuff to be fairly good (combined with elbow grease), but as they are water-based, don't let too much run inside the motor itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back