Pennzoil Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased 13 qts for my crown vic and cannot seem to find any specs or opinions of this fluid. I am not real fond of universal fluids, thus I chose to buy the bottles that are branded Mercon V (Yellow Bottle). On the back of this bottle it says it meets the requirments of the past Mercon and Dexron III. How is this possible? Is this bad?

Mercon V???? Pennzoil doesn't sell a Mercon-V anymore! They sell the multivehicle ATF. How old is that stock?

Its not bad and it is very possible. Most specs are similar. Newer specs usually just exceed the expectations of older specs by a greater margin.

I know the bottle that you have, it says Mercon V on the front of it.

Don't worry, I just bought motorcraft mercon V, in the case, and on the side of the case it says Mercon V meets the specs of Mercon and Dextron III.

Basically Mercon V is a semi synthetic Mercon fluid.

Use the stuff you have with confidence, its fine.

FORD has TSB # 06-14-4 that states that Mercon V can now be used in Mercon applications.
They are discontinuing Mercon.
This is why Mercon V will now be labeled as for Mercon V and Mercon applications.

I saw this at Walmart today. It must be a Walmart exclusive product as I see no mention of it on Pennzoil's website.

It does indeed say "Mercon V". On the back it states it can be used in all the other applicationS as well. For the price of $3.46 per qt, is this worth stocking up on before it is no longer? The next cheaper oil is the valvoline at $3.97 per qt.

Batch:
HLPA18957 /03096/18:20

I'd just say keep your fluid clean, and anything that meets the mercon V spec will be fine.

I use the motorcraft stuff because my buddy is the parts guy and gets me the big discount, but before that I was using pennzoil stuff, and castrol. Never noticed a difference.

I change fluid in my thunderbird racecar and f150 every year anyways (15k miles), so it doesn't matter too much.

Both are 4r70w equipped cars by the way.

I was under the assumption that the mercon v has more friction modifiers and other additives that were required when the AOD-E was changed to the 4R70W. I guess the friction clutches were changed to a different material. So by having these extra additives made it NOT compatible with mercon specified transmissions. Ford said NOT to use it in one TSB and then changed their mind later on. Why?

Quote:

Ford said NOT to use it in one TSB and then changed their mind later on. Why?

Who knows? I suspect Ford was referring to their own Motorcraft Mercon V in the first TSB, the black-bottle stuff. The red-bottle stuff is a different product and can be used in both Mercon and Mercon V apps.

Although I am totally confused about their first TSB stating that dual-rated fluids should not be used in Mercon apps. Presumably such fluids were granted a Mercon license and if they are not to be used in a Mercon application--that's a big, big problem if a fluid that could cause damage in a Mercon application could still receive a Mercon license.

Isn't it?

Dual rated fluids in the past have not really been rated per se, but rather had words like 'suitable for use in' or other such language on the label to get around the legal licensing requirement.

When I called Valvoline's tech line about Vavoline Mercon V I asked if it has a Mercon license and I was told that it did. I used Valvoline Mercon V in my mom's Chevrolet Malibu's 4T40E transmission when I changed the fluid. It also has a Dexron III license.

Even Ford's Mercon V product has a Dexron III license if I recall correctly. (I found a list of Dexron III licensees somewhere on GM's site).

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
I purchased 13 qts for my crown vic and cannot seem to find any specs or opinions of this fluid. I am not real fond of universal fluids, thus I chose to buy the bottles that are branded Mercon V (Yellow Bottle). On the back of this bottle it says it meets the requirments of the past Mercon and Dexron III. How is this possible? Is this bad?

It looks like everyone has a Mercon V/Dex 3 product including Walmart. Very common combination. At least they're not trying to say it meets Dex 6 requirements.

SF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back