Is Everyone Happy with Redline Differential Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed my rear differential fluid on my Ford Escape 4wd v6 to Redline 75w-90, replacing the stock 80w-90 conventional fluid. So far no issues to report and the truck runs well in the recent snow storms we've had, very quiet and smooth. I noticed Amsoil Severe Gear fluid available in 75w-90 and 80w-90 after I went with the Redline. Not sure how they compare, but just curious if most people have been happy with Redline fluids in the differential. I know when the stock fluid was drained at 25,000 miles it had tons of metal particles/flake it in, fluid came out greyish black due to so much metal in it.

thanks for any opinions on redline diff. fluids.

Joey
smile.gif

Sounds like your fluid really needed changing. I've got about 25k miles on my diff. with the same Redline fluid. No issues to report.

Redline 75/140 in epxy for about 15K no poblems but most any good quality lube will not give problems I wanted LS performance which RL has plus was simpler to get for me.
bruce

Redline makes excellent products. I am using the GM synthetic lube until I'm out of warranty then going with redline because it's cheaper and meets the GM specs for synthetic gear lube. I do believe also that redline makes a 80w90 and a 80w140 as well.

yeah the reason I went with the Redline 75w-90 was that it was readily available out of the preferred synthetics.

BTW, My owners manual says I can run 70w-140 if we experience extreme cold temps frequently below -30F. I wonder how it would compared to the other fluids ?, I always thought the 70w-140 would be a thicker fluid, though I guess with it being synthetic and 70w it may be good at cold temps. I do drive it specifically in winter months but our temps hover around -10C for the most part, not much colder than that. I also want a fluid that is decent on fuel economy as much as possible.

I am not aware of a 70W-140 fluid that is readily available, only a 75W-140 from what I've seen. Usually these thicker-at-operating-temp 140 weight oils are for more heavily loaded towing vehicles and would affect your fuel economy negatively. I would think your best bet for economy and year-round protection would be a 75W-90 synthetic gear oil with good cold flow specs for your canadian winters.

The amount of metal in your diff was normal for the first gear oil change. You have to brake in the gears somehow.

redline tends to quiet older BMW diffs better than other oils . it is good stuff, though I know that M1, RP and Amsoil are also great.

JMH

thanks for all of the great replies, I'll leave Redline in there a bit and see how it goes if you guys think it is decent enough. In terms of viscosity the Redline 75w-90 is pretty close to being an 80w from what I can tell.

[quote I know when the stock fluid was drained at 25,000 miles it had tons of metal particles/flake it in, fluid came out greyish black due to so much metal in it.

thanks for any opinions on redline diff. fluids.

Joey
smile.gif

I now will say if you have studied the posts over the years you would have known to change out the differential oil with in the first couple of thousand or so miles of operation to get rid of the break in wear and greatly increase the operating life of the components,not my idea but proven in SAE tests.

Well I have 346,000 miles on my 1987 Volvo Turbo Wagon and the rear end has had Redline 75W90 in it since about 200K miles. No problems what so ever.

Red Line Oil would be my #1 pick for any differential application ...

... until Specialty Formulations is back up and running, that is.
wink.gif

ah cool, thanks for the positive opinions, good testimonials by the sounds of it. Unfortunately I bought the vehicle used with 25,000 miles on it so could not change the fluid until I first got it.

Well, if I had bought the same vehicle with about 25,000 miles on it, I'd have used a cheap 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear oil in it for 2,000-3,000 miles then drained it again before putting in the super premium stuff.

Still, with the care you're giving your new ride, I'm guessing the diffys will outlast the rest of the vehicle.
smile.gif

Bror, that would have been a better way to go for sure, I wish I had done that based on how much metal was in the original fluid. Unfortunately I only realized it after the drain and I went ahead with the new fluid, but your suggestion would have been superior. Also, I dumped the old fluid using a pump, instead of opening up the diff pan, still likely a bit of metal floating around in there. I may do a second change in the spring, given the small quantity of fluid we are talking about it isn't too expensive, less than 2 quarts.

One good point is that I changed the fluid ahead of the normal OEM change interval, so there was some benefit to the exercise I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back