Havoline vs Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to choose between these two 5W30 dino oil for a 5K OCI, assuming the same driving condition. Which one would you choose and why?
starwars.gif

For the exact same price I would take GTX.

In the real world I would take which ever is cheaper.

Based on UOA's the GTX appears to hold TBN slightly better and be slightly more shear stable. The difference is very slight.

Which ever bottle you think looks better.
Are you a Juan Montoya fan?? Havoline
How about John Force??? Castrol GTX
In this case it truly is probably just about a good a reason as any other.

The reason why I asked is I used to have 10 cases of Castrol GTX in my basement that I got at very good price over two years ago. But now I am down to less than 2 cases. I have been checking around at different place to see if I can stock up GTX again. So far, the regular price for the Castrol GTX is around $2.79 a quart with a sale once in a while you can get them 5 for $10. Since Havoline is going to switch to a new formula after the first of the year. Advance Auto is clearing out the old oil at $1.55 a quart. I called 6 or 7 local AAP and most of them are out of the 5W30. But I did find one store still have about 5 cases in stock. I told them to put it aside for me and I will go pick them up tomorrow. I just wondered is Havoline better or not as good as Castrol GTX. I heard that Havoline oil contains a high content of molly but I am not quite sure what that means exactly. Is that good or bad.

What are you using 4 cases on a year?
I'd lock in 1.55 for 2007 OCIs if I wasn't in the Chevron .59 cent retailing area. I'm not likely to go out a lock in 2008 with SM.

At 1.55/qt for havoline is this a good deal to jump on? It seems finding oil for less than 1.99 is difficult with todays market.

I have 4 cars that I do oil changes on (my car, my wife and my 2 daughters), 2 Toyotas and 2 Hondas. To do an oil change for all 4 cars, it required a total of 19 quarts of oil. I did 2 oil changes for 2 of them yearly (10K miles each a year) and 3 oil changes yearly on the other 2 (15K miles each a year) for 5K OCI on all of them. So it requires about 4 cases of oil every year. That's why I used up 8 cases of oil in the last 2 year and I don't have enough oil in stock for the coming year (2007).

This is an interesting question since the new Havoline should hit the shelves next month. With the price increase,Havoline will be in big trouble with BITOG members that don't see better UOAs to match the higher price.
hornets_nest.gif
or are we to believe that the new Havoline will have benifits(DepositShield)that cannot be measured by a UOA.
dunno.gif

Irregardless....I won't pay their new price. I can't see how any measurable improvements are going to cover the added cost.

This is very interesting. With the expected new pricing, Havoline will be at the same price point as Castrol GTX (~$2.79 a quart). That almost said Castrol GTX is a better oil than Havoline currently. With the new formula, Havoline finally catch up with GTX on both quality and price.

Quote:

This is an interesting question since the new Havoline should hit the shelves next month. With the price increase,Havoline will be in big trouble with BITOG members that don't see better UOAs to match the higher price.
hornets_nest.gif
or are we to believe that the new Havoline will have benifits(DepositShield)that cannot be measured by a UOA.
dunno.gif

They probably boost up the levels of the detergents in the formula?

Could it be possible that the DepositShield angle is being used becouse you can claim the oil is improved without people seeing better UOAs? I mean,if they said the consumer would see a 50% reduction in engine wear then all alot of you guys would have to do is compare wear metals in the old Havoline to wear metals in the new Havoline at the same intervals in the same car.But, if you claim the oil emits an invisible shield to protect against deposit formation you are basically touting a quality of the oil that cannot be seen in UOA. Makes it difficult to absolutely prove the oil is not improved.Does this make any sense or have I been watching Mulder and Sculley reruns too much?
ufo.gif

Quote:

Amazing that some folks freak out about a .79 price change per qt.

You right. It's only 29% increase.

Its like $2 a gallon gas going to $2.79.

Or a $15k car going to $19,350.

And of course your going to get the 29% worth of value in the increase....

No big deal.
smirk.gif

Some of us want to get VALUE of what we spend. Not just what some companies marketing dictates to us.

It is amazing that people will spend $$ without thinking...
nono.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back