Is Walmart Supertech Motor Oil any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 93' Lumina Euro 3.1 with ~90k on it. I have been using Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 for 2yrs or so and it worked fairly well, but this stuff is #@$%! awful expensive these days to be putting in such an old car. Please let me know any thoughts/experiences. Anyone know who makes it? I am in central florida?

BTW: I apologize if this has been covered, but I searched and did not find anything

thanks, what OCI's do you recommend? Is supertech oil recycled or fresh?

I would go with the SuperTech Full Syn oil. The UOA's on this board for this oil have been very good. I'm running it for the first time right now in my Ranger. It's only ~$14 in the 5 quart jug.

Supertech is rated to the latest specs API SM ilsac GF4. All I know is it's a grp II base oil and a common additive package that is is usually blended by Warren. What OCI's have you been doing with the Maxlife? What kind of driving is the car subject too (short trips long trips long sits?) Keep up the same and keep an eye out for coolant leaks with an occasional analysis. I had one of the GM 3.1 V6's in the past and it is a nice running effecient motor. If you keep it servicesd and don't get any coolant failures it's only middle aged.

Why would he need synthetic? This motor is very easy on oil and was designed to run on SG or SH rated oils. Any SM GF4 oil is a real improvement in lubrication compared to what the engine was getting while new.

I was doing the normal ~3k miles changes and I will continue the same I guess. About 1.5yrs ago my father and I changed the intake gaskets to be on the safe side, because I found out from reading how prone they were to failure. The oil has never shown physical signs of antifreeze infiltration. We have performed a good amount of work on it over the years so hopefully it will keep on going
smile.gif

The Maxlife you are currently using is already 20% Group IV PAO Synthetic.

If you do 3000 mi (City) to 6000 mi (Highway) changes the regular SuperTech Dino will work fine.

I suspect the current Maxlife would hold up to 5,000 mi (City) to 8,000 mi (Highway) changes.

This assumes you dont have the infamous 3.1L manifold gasket coolant leak.

What are your driving conditions? What mileage and length of time do you usually go between changes?

He doesn't need synthetic. It's just that the Syn is only a few dollars more than some name brand dino's, with the advantage of a GRP III base stock. And with the good UOA's showing, it is a very good value. One might get a little longer OCI out of the Syn to help offset the cost as well.

There have been many people go to Syn with more milage than you. Most of the leakage problems are long gone, and the Supertech is a GRP III, so it is really a super refined mineral oil anyway. If your car leaks from Syn, then there is something wrong with the car anyway.

I agree with LT4 Vette.

Whatever is on sale, and API rated will be fine.

I use the supertech oil and filters in my girlfriends 00 neon, never a problem.

Just keep it changed, and its better oil than it was getting when it was new.

I would say I do 70% city and 30% highway driving. I have changed the oil prior at ~3k miles which takes me about 4-5 months to rack up

Another good source for filters is Fred's Dollar Store if you have those in FL.
The Havoline filters ($2.09) are just rebranded Purolator Premium Plus.
BTW they also sell Havoline HighMileage ($2.48) and regular Havoline ($1.99-2.09).

6 month (5000 mi max) with any SM/GF-4 rated 5W-30. SuperTech will be fine.

For filters I would use either the Havoline (Purolator) or SuperTech (Champion).

Before I grabbed that Supertech, I would look just to the left (or) just to the right for "Trop Artic Syn-Blend" for $1.68. Better oil for the ballpark-same price. It's the same company that produces Conoco, Kendall and Motorcraft.

Last edited:
I'd suggest taking advantage of the remaining Havoline close-out special ($1.55/qt). With a SuperTech filter you're looking at about $10 for an oil change. Not bad for a great conventional oil and a a proven filter (Bill in Utah).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back