Dodge/Chrysler 2.4L engine owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this DOHC engine in my car(naturally aspirated) and it has been strong and reliable up to its current 45k mi mark, but I have had to replace the spark plugs(twice) and the EGR valve...

I was just curious if this engine is considered robust/weak or has any reoccuring problems. Is it 'easy' on oil, or almost saab-like?? I can't believe I've waited until now to ask, but I never hear anything about this engine, other than the fact that it's been considered reliable for a DCX engine for the past few years...

And I'm planning on getting my first UOA done by Terry after this next oil change to make sure nothing's going south...
fruit.gif

Okay this is the Neon type 2.0/2.4L. The newer 2.4L is a clean sheet design. I know of no specific problems with the Neon/Stratus DOHC 2.4L. However the 2.0L SOHC had Head Gasket Problems. DC had about 4 different gasket designs to try to solve this problem. The current gaskets are a MLS design (Multiple Layers). I am uncertain if the 2.0L DOHC or 2.4L DOHC had the same problem. If so you should already have the newest gaskets.

The 2.0L SOHC is very easy on oil. Not sure about the 2.4L DOHC. I would run a UOA once a year just to assure myself I had no internal problems.

my mother has the 2.0 in a plymouth breeze, and it returns reat economy and is easy on the oil, even with very severe service. It likes M1
smile.gif

Ive had the 2.4 in the newer stratus cars that ive had as rentals... I always have enjoyed that engine, and think its a good one from a drivability standpoint at least.

Not that this tells you whether it is good or not... but all the same, I too have not heard anything bad...

JMH

Well, the 2.4 in my PT returns poor fuel economy, about 23mpg mixed driving, mostly highway!
Granted, I do have the 4spd auto, but it's mostly due to the fact that the car weighs over 3000lbs, and 150hp is not quite enough for it.

But it is darn smooth for a 4 banger, I'll give it that...

I'm going with the consensus that this engine is not very hard on oil and is pretty reliable...

Well, that's a good thing to hear! Thanks for your comments!

Drew- this engine has only 45K miles on it, & you've had to replace spark plug *Twice*?
shocked.gif
I'd expect that engine to go a bare minimum of 35-40K on *one* set of ordinary plugs.

My Neon has the 2.0 L DOHC engine, similar in many ways to the Mopar 2.4 L DOHC- I think they even use the same head. I ran my factory Champion copper-core plugs for 89,988 miles.

What kind of plugs are you using- are they platinum, maybe even *single* plats, where only one electrode is platinum? Neon 2.0 L engines, both SOHC & DOHC, are well known for giving trouble with single platinum plugs- the cause is the waste-spark ignition system, which fires two of the plugs "backwards". I'm pretty sure your 2.4 L has the same type igniton, & it may even use the same coil pack.

So- *if* you're using single platinum plugs, I'd advise to get 'em out of there & replace with some plain old copper-core Champions or NGKs(their V-Power works great in Neons, & I bet it would in your 2.4 too).

Good quality double platinums, where both electrodes are platinum, probably won't cause any trouble. They won't buy you any extra zip either, though they might last a little longer.

Modern Mopar 4-cyls & ordinary copper-core plugs- a proven combination.
thumbsup.gif

Oh, and about oil- my 2.0 seems to be pretty easy on oil, & I'd expect similar results from a 2.4.
cheers.gif

I have a 1995 neon, SOHC,a dn what stuart said is very true... DO not use platinums, neons have a waste-sprk system. Copepr plugs only.... the platinum plugs will deteiorate quickly...Ive used NGK v powers, neons like em:) My neone also liked AC delco copper plugs....Champion copper plugs are also the way to go:) I have read about other neon owners using those IRidium plugs, will nO ill effects whatsoever.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser with the normally aspirated 2.4L and automatic. With almost 58,000 miles, the engine (and car for that matter) has been flawless. I replaced the copper plugs with iridium plugs at about 30,000 miles and swapped out the original wires for Magnecore wires (figure they should last the life of the car). My mostly city driving yields about 20-21 mpg on average although in the summer this may creep up a little (these cars are not known for their stellar gas mileage although I've gotten as high as 30 mpg on highway trips if the speed is kept reasonable). The car had been fed a diet of Schaeffers 5W30 oil (great UOA's)until about 35,000 miles when I switched over to GC green (got enough until the car hits about 80,000 miles). I also swapped out the original ATF+4 for the Specialty Formulations version (the trans was never smoother than now...with Chrysler's reputation for these transmissions you can't be too careful). I've been very happy with this car and would recommend it and the 2.4L.

Well, the factory Champion coppers were causing a very rough idle at 24k miles, so I swapped them out for Champion double platinums. Rough idle persisted, so I had my mechanic look at it. One of the electrodes was about to fall off! Defective plug, so I that was it for Champion getting my business!

Replaced with NGK Iridiums and replaced the #@$%! factory wires with MSD Ignition wires, and viola! Idles smooth as silk now...

I also did a drain+fill of ATF with Redline C+ at around 24k, planning to do it again at 60k and then leaving it at that...

I used Mobil 1 for a long time, but now am using PP and have some GC green on hand for a future change...

At which speed were you cruising at to attain 30mpg?? The most I've ever gotten on the highway was 26.5mpg cruise control at 65mph the whole trip.

drew...I've attained 30 mpg on several occasions when driving in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (where I'm from)...mostly 2 lane roads with a 55 mph speed limit (not going over 60). This was AFTER the changeout of plugs, wires and trans fluid. I think all three have contributed to better mileage on my "Cruiser".

Ahh, yes, the UP:)

I suspect due to aerodynamics and low revs, most cars will achieve their best mileage at around 55mph. Consumer Reports did a mileage test in a Camry I think, and the results looked something like this IIRC:

@70mph ~ 30mpg
@60mph ~ 36mpg
@55mph ~ 41mpg

Parasite drag increases exponentially, right? Then this would make sense...

My highway mileage went from 22 to 26mpg just slowing my cruise speed down between 65 and 70mph(speed limit 70) instead of my old 75mph ways...

Hello, hitting this discussion as I'm late to the party. (I joined in 2018 or 17). *Just saw I joined in 2016*

Just want to say, I'm still running my 06 dodge stratus sxt with this engine. 157,xxx miles.

I've had:
Factory spark plugs changed once,
New battery after approx 130,000,
New Mopar timing belt and water pump at approx 120,000, with collant change.
New shocks/struts twice
The usual oil/filter changes at 3k.
New tire(s) as needed and one rim.
1 new driver side wheel bearing.

I must say that I've missed a few oil/filter changes.
It was used as my daily commuter but now I may put 100 miles a week, as I drive a company owned work Truck for work.

This engine transmission seem to be very reliable for me.

Last edited:
Your 2.4L aluminum block 4-cyl started life as one of the the joint Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Hyundai-Kia Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance engines. This was originally a Hyundai designed 2,360 cc "Theta/Theta II" engine and has been plagued with early engine failures that continue to this day. Chrysler's newer "Tigershark" version of this engine is closely related and uses what is essentially the same block but has a different head and VVT design. To answer your question, it is not considered to be "robust". It has also been known to have sludge problems if oil change intervals are too long.

Originally Posted by wag123
Your 2.4L aluminum block 4-cyl started life as one of the the joint Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Hyundai-Kia Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance engines. This was originally a Hyundai designed 2,360 cc "Theta/Theta II" engine and has been plagued with early engine failures that continue to this day. Chrysler's newer "Tigershark" version of this engine is closely related and uses what is essentially the same block but has a different head and VVT design. To answer your question, it is not considered to be "robust".

I had the 2.4L in my Journey before it was in the accident and it was a low wearing engine from what I could see on the UOA's which are posted in the UOA section. It's quite a durable engine and it's one that Chrysler has tweaked. It doesn't share the same failure problems with Hyundai which was caused by a machining issue at time of manufacturer. And Chrysler is running the heads on that engine to 203F with a dual thermostat setup, as well.

Last edited:
I agree with Stevie C that wag123's information is incorrect regarding the Chrysler version of the 2.4L GEMA engine. The three companies might have shared the initial design of the block, but beyond that each company developed the entire engine assembly with their own changes. The Chrysler version has a very solid reputation for reliability. A Google search of "problems" turns up almost nothing. When I researched it about 6 years ago, at least one engine re-manufacturing company said that the few they have seen were due to high mileage wear, not defective design (just one data point). My Mopar professional mechanic friend (highly respected by me) said that when Chrysler bought out the GEMA rights around 2009, they made a few more minor improvements to an already reliable engine (don't remember what they were).

The engine is somewhat simple (some refer to as a tractor or sewing machine engine) and does not compare to today's more modern engines in performance. In my opinion, what it lacks in performance and bells/whistles (turbo, GDI,etc.), it gains in reliability. It is somewhat buzzy regarding noise and vibration and you will not win any drag races nor get phenomenal MPG . Mine burns only a trace of oil at 76,000 miles. One weakness I am aware of is a throttle body with plastic gears that tend to break. Replacement is easy for well under $250 diy.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Your 2.4L aluminum block 4-cyl started life as one of the the joint Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Hyundai-Kia Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance engines. This was originally a Hyundai designed 2,360 cc "Theta/Theta II" engine and has been plagued with early engine failures that continue to this day. Chrysler's newer "Tigershark" version of this engine is closely related and uses what is essentially the same block but has a different head and VVT design. To answer your question, it is not considered to be "robust".

I had the 2.4L in my Journey before it was in the accident and it was a low wearing engine from what I could see on the UOA's which are posted in the UOA section. It's quite a durable engine and it's one that Chrysler has tweaked. It doesn't share the same failure problems with Hyundai which was caused by a machining issue at time of manufacturer. And Chrysler is running the heads on that engine to 203F with a dual thermostat setup, as well.

4-cyl engines for all four manufacturers were ALL manufactured at the same Dundee Engine Plant in Dundee, MI by the same employees using the same materials and production machinery (economy of scale), although each of them had some minor "tweaks" that the individual manufacturers required. The plant is now owned exclusively by FCA and all of it's current 4-cyl engine models are manufactured there (Hyundai now manufactures it's engines in Alabama). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_Engine_Plant
I have personally known many people who had one of these engines fail on them. You happened to get a good one Stevie (they weren't ALL bad), and, correct me if I'm wrong, a high percentage of the miles you drive are highway miles which is VERY easy on engines. To be fair, FCA's newer naturally aspirated 4-cyl engines seem to be holding up better than they used to.

We had a Sebring, Stratus and PT Cruiser in the family with the earlier 2.4 designs (one with the Turbo - PT Cruiser) and they were fine... My mom's Journey with the 2.4 is fine her's is a 2014, mine was the 2015.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I own a 2011 Hyundai with a 4 cylinder engine manufactured in South Korea. Must be the only one.

All of the manufacturers also produced the engines at plants other than the Dundee Engine Plant. Hyundai also manufactured them in Korea and Mitsubishi also manufactured them in Japan. Where the engine came from depended on where the vehicle itself was manufactured. If your Hyundai (or Kia) was manufactured in Korea (first digit in the VIN is a K), it got an engine manufactured in Korea. Regardless, it is the same Hyundai engine and all of the parts are interchangeable.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I own a 2011 Hyundai with a 4 cylinder engine manufactured in South Korea. Must be the only one.

All of the manufacturers also produced the engines at plants other than the Dundee Engine Plant. Hyundai also manufactured them in Korea and Mitsubishi also manufactured them in Japan. Where the engine came from depended on where the vehicle itself was manufactured. If your Hyundai (or Kia) was manufactured in Korea (first digit in the VIN is a K), it got an engine manufactured in Korea. Regardless, it is the same engine and all of the parts are interchangeable.

The blocks are generally the same. The heads were different depending on the automaker. There were proprietary systems that automakers didn't want to share at that time. Example; Mitsubishi and their Mivec system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back