No-label oil at Sam's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam's had cases of no-name oil today. The only thing it had was the weight (5W-30) and the rating SM/GF-4. That's it...no other distinguishing marks. It cost like $17.XX for the 12...so just under $1.50/qt. Thought that was kind of high for a "generic" oil with no other info.

Anybody have any info about this oil?

Maybe it's actually a name-brand oil with a missing label, so it's being sold as a defective lot or something to that effect.

17.00 for 12 quarts of oil you have no idea what it is, except is SAYS SM/GF4?

Why not go round up Havoline for 1.55? Or anything, for that matter, for any price. Who needs that concern after you put it in?

Quote:

Who needs that concern after you put it in?

What concern, API is all you need. lol.

People chastise Amsoil for not getting API. Now here is a "no name" oil with an API cert. No worries, put it in, run it to the manufacturer's OCI.

Repeat after me: "The Sam's Club/WalMart empire has deep pockets." Also begs the suspicion that Sam's Club no-name motor oil bottles may contain the same goo found in WalMart SuperTech bottles...

Deep brown/black....smelled like roofing tar....highly acidic....chunks and metallic shards....but it WAS cheap!!!

guys this happens to be one of the better buys in motor oil minus a rebate.this "certified" brand is a recycled base oil with some common additive package. my guess would be evergreen http://www.evergreenoil.com/compbg.html on the west coast and saftee kleen in the midwest and east coast as the source.maybe. this stuff is grp ll fwiw.

Quote:

17.00 for 12 quarts of oil you have no idea what it is, except is SAYS SM/GF4?

Why not go round up Havoline for 1.55? Or anything, for that matter, for any price. Who needs that concern after you put it in?

I never said anything about BUYING it...I was just curious who makes it. I'll stick with the Motorcraft for now...$2.08 for a Syn Blend with excellent UOA's.

Anybody care to be the guinea pig and buy a case, run it for 5k or so, and do a UOA or two? Hmmmm? I'll even buy it (but you'll have to pay for the shipping and for the analysis).

grin.gif

Quote:

Repeat after me: "The Sam's Club/WalMart empire has deep pockets." Also begs the suspicion that Sam's Club no-name motor oil bottles may contain the same goo found in WalMart SuperTech bottles...

"The Sam's Club/WalMart empire has deep pockets."

Thank you, RayH, I feel better now..
cheers.gif

If I renew my Sam's membership and I find some I will try it for 5k mile OCI's. Especially if it's recycled base oil just to show you superstitious recyclephobes that there is nothing to fear. I will gladly run it in my 2006 Tacoma and skip an interval or two of the tropartic I have been running. What if it does better?? Then everyone will be talking about that great no label sleeper oil!!
grin.gif
No problem in my mind if it carries the proper API and ILSAC labeling. If I ever find myself in the megalo consumer mart disquised as a wholeseller I will see if any is in stock.

If it is indeed formulated from grp II quality "Re-refined" motor oil that meets SM/GF4 I would like to support the company that does so with my business. We need to do more to encourage recycle and reuse so it is more than price to me in that sense. Recycled oil could be using any number of the packaged additive packs that are used in some brand name oils. I would like a lot number and any information possible to see if I or anyone can find the blender and piece this puzzle together. It is a shame that it is hard for me to find this marketed and labeled as recycled, and I work in the oil production field! I want my marketed recycled oil because it's just as good as any other conventional oil, and if a brand name decides to market it instead of another High Mileage niche we can get the Recycled niche from Pennzoil, Chevron, Mobil etc... I am sick and tired of this resource being treated as a second class product because there is a irrational fear of it by many and marketing won't touch it.

I have a passive agressive wish that it is being used by all the major brands already and not being advertised. Just another oilfield greeny getting off of the soapbox...

Last edited:
Quote:

I am sick and tired of this resource being treated as a second class product because there is a irrational fear of it by many and marketing won't touch it.

Fair enough. When someone labels what they've bottled with pride, I'm in!
cheers.gif

Until then, folks are (understandably) skittish.
shocked.gif

Quote:

hey my 336kmile 528e has been doing jus fine on Supertech. Just because WallyWorld doesnt spend a dime adverising it, doesnt mean it is junk. I would like to know if it is made with re-refined base stock. I would consider this to be a positive thing. Sheesh, I never thought I would have to defend Walmart.
smirk.gif

On of my concerns would be consistency. With no label or identifying marks, they could use pretty much anything at any time as long as it met the API/GF specs, right? Or am I just being paranoid? Maybe the big-name guys do the same thing? At what point of raw-materials changes does a company have to recertify?

I think I'm going to go back there this week and see if I can find a lot number or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back