Mobil 1 ATF--Still PAO synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed posting on how Mobil 1 Motor Oil is no longer a true PAO synthetic.

Is Mobil 1 ATF still a 100% PAO synthetic? If not, maybe it is time to change to Amsoil?

hide.gif

Quote:

You are assuming Amsoil is still PAO

Yes, that is true, as I've not heard anything to think that Amsoil has switched their formulation.

I've used Mobil 1 up until now with the hope that it will extend transmission life, but with recent rumors of Mobil 1 oil "cheapening" I am worried that it is no longer a PAO synthetic and could no longer be anything special...

Does anyone have any info?

youre assuming that M1 is really group III, and that it has been verified and validated multiple times from new lots... Im not so sure that was done...

So can anyone CONFIRM that Mobil 1 OIL is now Group III (not PAO)?

If so, did Mobil 1 also "cheapen" its transmission fluid? Isn't something like Maxlife ATF a group III? If Mobil 1 has cheapened its ATF, then it is no longer anything special...might as well buy Maxlife.

Nobody can confirm anything and EM's not talking about specific base oils in its synthetic products. Believe whatcha want - it's all nothing more than wild-eyed, panic-driven S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N at this point.

I'm certainly not in a panic but I'm tired of EM letting people speculate. One of the main reasons I bought Mobil 1 in the past is for extreme cold and hot performance. The spec.'s on some of the oils are not so impressive anymore, especially with regards to pour point. They may still be average or better but I'm much more willing to try other oils now. Mobil 1 is easy to find which is another reason I bought it but the extra money you pay for it hardley seems to be a guarantee of better quality now. I think I'm going to start using Dexron VI now and see how I like it. I'm switching my cars over to GC for engine oil and we'll see how my UOA's compare.

Mobil1's ATF cold performance hasn't changed and still one of the best -40 Brookfield numbers, has great pour point and high flash point. If its -40 centipoise and pour point shoots upward, then I'd wager that there would be less higher group base oils. For now, I'd wager that it is still a real synthetic.

ATF numbers comparison, info pulled from MFG websites:

Brookfield -40*c---pour point(*F)---flash point(*F):
Schaeffers 204 = 8600-12000, -60, 425
Castrol TransmaxZ = 8400, -75, 439
Valvoline ATF+4 = 9000, -54, 385
Redline D4 ATF = 5200, -76, 437
Redline DexII = 4500, -65, 435
Mobil"1" ATF = 5190, -65, 456
Mobil D/M = 16,670, PP?, 356
Pennzoil MV = 8600, -49, 374
RoyalPurple = 7934, PP?, 450
Mobil MV = 12,000, PP?, 356
Amsoil ATF = 9621, PP?, 435
Amsoil ATD = 8400, -67, 450
Neo ATF = 8300, -65, 428

D/M, is your typical mineral oil ATF(dexronIII Mercon). Nothing special there.
MerconV is your typical blend. Ford requires 12000 -40 spec.
I find it funny that Schaeffers gives a 'range' for the -40 spec.
Pennzoil MV is also a blend(a pretty good one at that).
ATF+4 is that well known XHVI group III ATF. As you can see, its an excellent performer for the money.
And, you can see where the full synthetics fall in performance(best flash points), best -40 number(M1/RL), best pour point(transmax Z, D4),......

Quote:

Nobody can confirm anything and EM's not talking about specific base oils in its synthetic products. Believe whatcha want - it's all nothing more than wild-eyed, panic-driven S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N at this point.

If you check through the main thread on this topic, you will find a link to a technical data sheet for the oils in question on an ExxonMobil web site. They say plainly group 3 base stock.

There is no need to speculate when ExxonMobil have published it as fact.

I believe M1 ATF is Group III, still a good product.

My question is with Amsoil's ATF. Going thru the website I noticed that their PAO based oils say "100 Percent Synthetic" while their Group III based oils simply say "Synthetic." Some popular oils such as the 15w-40 AME and Universal ATF say synthetic not 100 percent synthetic. Many synthetic mixed fleet oils are Group III and with speculation that M1 ATF is Group III it would not suprise me if the Amsoil version of these oils is Group III as well.

Nothing wrong with that. As we've seen from UOAs on this site Group III oils are excellent performers.

Thoughts?

Quote:

Quote:

If you check through the main thread on this topic, you will find a link to a technical data sheet for the oils in question on an ExxonMobil web site. They say plainly group 3 base stock.

There is no need to speculate when ExxonMobil have published it as fact.

Please find that link to appropriate PDS and post it in your reply to this.
smirk.gif

Personally, I don't care if Mobil 1 is a group III based oil, as long as ExM doesn't try to mislead the public about it. For decades Mobil 1 has touted the virtues of PAO as a base stock. I did a little research many years ago to satisfy myself that a PAO based oil was worth the extra cost Mobil 1 charged. I felt it was and have been happily using Mobil 1 for about 25 years. For years Mobil 1 was the only fluid - ATF, Rear end, and engine - that I put into my '91 Corvette cause I wanted to extend its life and performance as much as possible. My loyalty to the Mobil 1 product line has come to an end.
For me, it's become a matter of price and generalities. I no longer shop by brand name for motor oil, but by specifications. Will it meet GM specs for my car? if so, then cheaper is better. The only exception to this is that I have always liked the Amsoil products, but hated their high prices. Now I'm re-thinking that as well. Amsoil has pushed extended drain intervals for their products since the early 1970s and they still do. I get a little queasy thinking about going 25,000 miles OCI. But to justify the cost of Amsoil I would have to do that. I'm just not sure...
One thing I am sure about is that it will be a cold day in #@$%! before I knowingly pay PAO prices for a Group III oil.
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back