Top Tier gas and when to not fill your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toyota product and they recommend Top Tier gas, which in my area is sold by Conoco and Quick Trip, what do you guys think to Top Tier gas is it really better? Also I understand you should never fill your tank when you see a gas truck filling the tanks at your local station (stirs up the dirt and can get dirt into your tank? Is this a old wifes tale???

I will run any gas that does not have ethanol in it if possible as long as it is from a station that does enough business to keep fresh fuel in the tanks. I don't see much difference between brands of fuel as far as mileage or power.

No, do not fill up while a tanker is off-loading into the stations tanks or for about a day afterwards. Not only is there sediment in the stations tanks, but the tanker may have some sediment in it as well. It's best to wait and let all of that settle before pumping the fuel into your car or truck.

one of the most important aspects aside from quality gasoline and additives in Top-tier gas is that it must not contain any MMT (octane boosters) in them, which may have some serious long-term health consequences and negative environmental aspects.

Also, MMT in rather significant or sufficiently long-term exposure in an emission-controlled car will foul up your readings, clog your cat convertors, and foul up your spark plugs and more...

For more info, plse refer to my other reply RE: MMT octane boosters...

Quote:

No, do not fill up while a tanker is off-loading into the stations tanks or for about a day afterwards. Not only is there sediment in the stations tanks, but the tanker may have some sediment in it as well.

Don't the stations use filters? Also, there's a popular station near my house that has a tanker show up at least once a day. When should I fill up?

I wouldn't worry about it really.

If your buying gas from a name brand place don't worry too much about it.

Just change the fuel filter regularly on your vehicle and log your mpg, and see what works best for you.

I won't buy gas from a local mom and pop style gas station, they are more apt to not have the maintenance done on their tanks as the big boys do.

I've found the best 87 octane gas to be at Kwik Fill here in the buffalo area. Its the only 87 that my f150 will take and not ping, so that works for me.

Quote:

Quote:

No, do not fill up while a tanker is off-loading into the stations tanks or for about a day afterwards. Not only is there sediment in the stations tanks, but the tanker may have some sediment in it as well.

Don't the stations use filters? Also, there's a popular station near my house that has a tanker show up at least once a day. When should I fill up?

I feel that a gas station that is getting refueled on a regular basis is going to be more important than the sediment issue. Accumulated water is more detrimental and more common (IMHO) than sediment. You are right, they have fuel filters and if the tanks are constantly being emptied and filled, the sediment will most likely not be existent in the first place. Or at the very least, the sediment is being dosed out over a larger average of fuel because of the higher quantity of empty/fill cycles the main tank sees. Water is the more likely issue and a station that does a lot of business will again have the advantage.

Also, I might add that the Top Tier Gas movement was a result of the lowering of standards by the EPA. When the EPA lowered their detergent standards (probably because the oil companies lobbied for it - but that is conjecture on my part) the auto manufactures noticed trends that indicated this lowering of detergent additive was causing problems. So they got together and formed this Top Tier Gas coalition and created their own standards.

So I would say that the Top Tier gas has more detergents than gas that does not (otherwise they would qualify for the Top Tier designation). Is it better? I am not sure. All gas is fungible, so I personally put in whatever gas is cheap that comes from a busy station and put my own additive in it (FP60). So far it has worked for me. No driveability or MPG problems thus far (and I am very AR when it comes to tracking MPG).

the gas stations use filters but keeping them serviced is another problem...stations tend to fudge on cost so they let the filters get dirty..i have inside info . here which stations are the culprit..needless to say i stay away from those stations...when it was showed to me a sample of what came from those filters i just about freaked!!!

Station next to where I work seems to service their filters fairly regularly as I have seen it a couple of times. It is a Phillips 66. Also a top tier gas. Been using them more lately.

Then i can't buy gas , the hi volume stations get deliveries everyday.

Quote:

I will run any gas that does not have ethanol in it if possible as long as it is from a station that does enough business to keep fresh fuel in the tanks. I don't see much difference between brands of fuel as far as mileage or power.

No, do not fill up while a tanker is off-loading into the stations tanks or for about a day afterwards. Not only is there sediment in the stations tanks, but the tanker may have some sediment in it as well. It's best to wait and let all of that settle before pumping the fuel into your car or truck.

By the way, Toyota is one of the OEMs that started this Top Tier Gas thing. So, no wonder they recommend that you use it. I am not saying that it is a bad thing, but just thought I would throw that out there.

The other players are BMW, GM and Honda. Interestingly, I don't recall seeing Honda recommending Top Tier gas in my 2006 Odyssey. I will have to re-check that.

Here is the link to top tier gas:

www.toptiergas.com

the phillip 66 stations and conoco and coporate shell service their filters reg...a few of the privately owened shell stations don't service filters reg. you can also include safeway,king soopers,bradly, sinclair all have lousy gas here

A quick note. The Kwik Fill station I buy from that I feel has the best gas around uses a unique style pump and a filter on it.

It seems to be old fashioned compared to modern pumps.

The pump doesn't have a credit card reader on it, and you can see it has a spin on filter that looks like an oil filter attached to it.

Plain white canister filter.

They mark the date on it when it was installed, and when it needs to be changed with a magic marker.

The Costco in Vista, Ca that I go to gets tanked 4-6 times a day. That kind of turn over spells cleaner gas. The employees are just that, employees, I asked and they change the filters when scheduled to, and are not worried about streatching it to save money. I have no problems with their gas and it's 25 to 35 cents a gallon cheaper than other stations in the area. They buy on the spot market and it's usually Shell or Chevron. The only thing I add is some Fuel Power, and twice a year a cycle of Chrvron fuel injector cleaner.

Any place that gets multiple tankers per day is likely to have very clean tanks...there's no time for anything to settle out and concentrate on the floor, so there's nothing to get stirred up.

Similarly, the tankers will likely be dedicated to carrying fuel, and not multiple products (we once got a batch of turbine oil in a filthy, sugary, tank...made a huge mess of the system)

I would stick with the top tier gas group. if your favorite brands are not on this list, that will make it tough, however there must be a reason why your favorite brand is not on this list:

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

The only Top Tier gas station in our area of SE MI is Shell, and there are only 3-4 stations in the area that aren't even close to me. I normally fill up on Speedway, Marathon, or Sunoco.

The only refinery (according to a DOE page) in MI is owned by Marathon-Ashland.

The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Meh. I'm not a big fan of gas with ethanol blended in. Slightly lower gas mileage and more likely to foul spark plugs because EtOH is water soluble and attracts moisture.
fighter.gif

I think that the link above may create a little confusion. I think that the link describes the tests used to certify the Top Tier Additive system. I do not think that Top Tier requires EtOH in the final blend. It does require a detergent system that will still work in the presence of EtOH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back