Which grease for VW shift linkage bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that bentley recommends white lithium grease, yet others say that synthetic MoS2 lubromoly is best...anyone know the correct answer?

What you want is a grease that stay put,and yet remains flexable,Schaeffers #2 274 will work fine,its a aluminum complex,so its better around moisture than lithium complex.and its great in other points of lubrication on a car.BL

Well, white lithium grease is what it's in there from the factory. I've used Plastilube without any issues. I'm not sure I'd put LM 47 (MOS2) in there. LM makes a lithium grease called LM 50 LITHO HT. The shifter linkage shifter consists of a steel ball at the bottom of the stick that rests in a lubed teflon socket.

OK, white lithium grease is the OE lube...I should have been more specufic though I am refering to a 96 VW Golf GL I believe it has a plastic ball at the base of the socket that is quite prone to wear so do you think that using a teflon based spray lube would be best for this specific point vs say the linkage bushings in the engine compartment? And how about the main rod bushing (orange) that is located at the base of the fire wall....teflon spray for this or lithium grease?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back