Amsoil EAO filter Microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeeDub,
It's good to see you have experienced the same oil cleaning abilities of the Eao filter.It's a whole new technology for automotive spin on oil filters. Do you think Amsoil will make the media thicker to filter down even lower?

Quote:

Amsoil is an excellent choice cmhj, coupled with the Eao filter, I'm sure you will be able to go better than the present 4k OC you have been doing. You will be amazed at how clean the Eao filter will keep your oil.

I have no doubt the Amsoil filter will make a noticeable difference.

Combining the EAO filter along with one of the group 4 Amsoils I plan on annual OCs, which normally will only be 10-12K miles.

cmhj,
Most of the guys I work with have gone to the Amsoil oil filter. Some use the 0W-30 oil and others use the M1 oil. All of them plan to do annual oil changes after seeing first hand how good their oil looks compared to what they've been used to. From what I've seen, a 10,000 mile OCI is a bit on the conservative side, conservative is good.

Quote:

conservative is good.

Agreed 1000000%
patriot.gif

From UOA's I've seen, there's a rather sharp particle cut-off around 15 microns. I think it's important to note that removing the larger micron particles, prevents them from being crushed down to smaller engine damaging ones.

A guy at work has 11,000 miles on the Amsoil 0W-30 and the Eao filter. He is about to change his oil (using the same type of oil and filter). I tried to get him to do a UOA, but he said are you kidding? Just look at the oil after 11K
miles! It's never been clean before. Good enough for me.

Schultz,
You determined in your bubble test that the Eao filter had a maximum pore size of 30 microns and 10 microns on the small side. Is it possible to tell how many large pores there are in relation to the smaller ones?

Now combine the 35,000 mile 0w30 and the 15 micron EaO oil filter and the 100,000 mile 0.8 micron EaA air filter. Maybe 35,000 mile/1year oil changes in the right vehicle would not be much of a stretch? Would the oil barely darken? Anybody doing this yet?

I'm a few thousand miles into my first triple threat. 5W30 AMSOIL 25,000 mile oil, 25,000 mile EaO oil filter and 100,000 mile EaA air filter. Oil is so clean it looks clear on the dipstick. Hard to read. And this 1997 Chevy Venture has 101,000 miles and at 60,000 miles had the dreaded inlet manifold gasket fail allowing coolant and oil to play together long enough to badly contaminate both. Just did the AMSOIL ATF and Bosch spark plugs and wires. This thing runs better than it ever has. From what I've read, most of these are pretty done in by now. Will likely change the oil and filter at 1 year which will likely be 10,000 to 12,000 miles. I wonder if it will darken by then?

You're going to have to do a UOA at some point to determine how far you can go. One year is a decent stretch. If the engine isn't adding too many contaminants ..and your filters are doing their job, you can go longer. But you're flying blind without UOA. Amsoil's fluids are great ...top tier stuff ..but it's not magic. There is no magic oil in terms of wear. It may last longer or endure more insult without issues ..but it's not magic. OTOH, the newer filter offerings do appear to be a cut above the competition in terms of full flow filtration.

TimVipond,
I think you are on to something there. 35,000 miles may easily be attainable, and I agree with Gary Allan, a UOA will have to be done at some point. Personally, I prefer to the cautious approach, that is, 10,000 mile OCI's. That is far longer than I have ever gone before. I plan to do a UOA at that point to see how things are progressing. With 207,000 miles on the original engine (Civic 1.5), you can understand my caution.

I don't see much of a point in doing a used oil analysis when I will only be using about 40% of the oil and filters mileage rating, and 10% of the air filters mileage rating. I'm 100% sure the $20 oil analysis would say keep on truckin' or go ahead and change it. I would rather spend the $20 toward new oil and filter. If I suspected something bad like coolant, fuel or dirt in the oil, or if the vehicle were under warranty and it uncovered a problem I might get it done. It might also be worthwhile if I were to sell the vehicle just to show everything is fine with it. Well, maybe I will just for show and tell.

I have always thought as you do Tim, why not just put the money towards an oil change. That is a good point. Amsoil's recommendations are under ideal conditions, every circumstance is different. Engine condition, miles driven, type of miles, atmospheric dirt conditions, etc. I am more confident, that using the Amsoil Eao filter and their 0W-30 oil, I should have no problems stretching my OCI to 10,000 miiles. Alas, no Eaa filter available as of yet. Pablo writes that a new batch of air filters will be announced next month (February, hopefully thay will have one for me. Actually I really don't care who makes a nanofiber air filter, I will jump on it even if Fram comes out with one.......just don't tell anyone I bought a(gasp)Fram.
laugh.gif
hide.gif

I understand that AMSOIL is using "exlusive nanofiber technology" that they licensed from Donaldson, so don't hold your breath waiting for someone else to come out with it. I think AMSOIL has these priced pretty low, so it may not be worthwhile for another company to do this. I would like to see them try though, as it might force AMSOIL to improve and/or lower their price.

Quote:

Amsoil's recommendations are under ideal conditions, every circumstance is different. Engine condition, miles driven, type of miles, atmospheric dirt conditions, etc.
laugh.gif
hide.gif

Harry - I'm not sure I agree completely "ideal", but feel normal driving is a better term. AMSOIL has been recommending 25,000 mile/1 year oil changes for 35 years. They have millions of customers driving billions of miles and have scrutinized thousands of used oil analysis, hundreds of engine tear downs, and worked with hundreds of fleets that use extended oil change intervals. I figure I am much less severe than the 3500 State Police cars that have changed their AMSOIL every 20,000 miles the past several years. AMSOIL hasn't had their oil fail yet. If anything, they must be conservative in their oil change intervals to have such a record.

Quote:

My engine used to make some clatter at startup. I have used the pure one filter in the past and until the engine warmed up, there was a definite "clatter" noise. Now with the new Amsoil filter, it's all but gone. Oil pressure is almost instantaneous and it is difficult to even hear the engine running!

Harry,

Curiosity killed the cat. My 05 Vibe with 5W-30 Mobil 1 and an over sized pure one filter just had a "clatter" sound in -5F weather the other morning.

Since I only had about 2K on the OC I said screw it, swung right into my garage and spun my Amsoil filter, which I prefilled as much as possible and let the car sit for an hour. When I hit the key there was no clatter at all.

The next day it was about zero. I hit the key and no clatter at all.

Even though I'm sold on Amsoil filters, this unscientific experiment was enough for me.

Amsoil all the way!
wink.gif

That's awesome cmhj! It usually doesn't get below 45 degrees here in southern Florida, I am really impressed that at 0 degrees, your engine had no clatter! As most wear occurs during the startup period, you have just found a way to minimize it. You will also notice after oil changes, while first starting the engine with an empty (or almost empty) oil filter, the oil pressure light will wink on then go out. How's that for instant pressure! I am convinced as are many others, the new Eao filters coupled with a good synthetic oil are definitely the way to go.

427Z06,

My Subaru (both turbo and non-turbo), now calls for the EAO-12 oil filter, which is the shortened version of the EAO-13. The 3.0L, six cylinder Sube engines call for the much larger EAO-20, as did the four cylinder motors in the past. The wider EAO-20 is a tight squeeze, but I'm not changing it very often so I don't mind.

As I recall, many of the older Hondas/Acuras called for the EAO-20, or the even longer EAO-36. However a check shows that the EAO-36 is not simply a longer version of the -20 anymore, so I wouldn't consider that substitution.

I've spend a few hours going through all the possible filter substitutions with these new Amsoil EAO filters, if U still have questions....

Harry,

Donaldson claims a big difference in the ability of this nano-fiber media to flow oil at low temps. As I recall from their charts, you could go about 15F lower before the bypass valve would open on a diesel running SAE 15w-40. My observations with the EAO filters in passenger vehicles, using a variation of this same media, would tend to support this....

TD

Quote:

As I recall, many of the older Hondas/Acuras called for the EAO-20, or the even longer EAO-36. However a check shows that the EAO-36 is not simply a longer version of the -20 anymore, so I wouldn't consider that substitution.

Yes, I did the same analysis. The issue now is whether there's an advantage to upsize to the Ea0-20 when the Ea0-12/13/14 is specified and the gasket sizes are compatible with your application. If it's the same media, and more of it, upsizing may hold an advantage for longer drain intervals.

Exactly what I was wondering. I was/am about to order some EAO filters for my Nissan (EAO 13). Might wait to see what the opinion of the EAO 20 is.

I use wix now and decided not to go with the wix honda filter because it actually had a worse beta rating than the smaller filter that the Nissan uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back