Differential oil for 2003 Dodge 3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new here I have been looking around quite a bit but still do not understand what I am looking for in a oil or gear oil. I have a 2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 with the Cummins diesel & 6 speed tranny. I want to change the front & rear differential oil. I tow a 11,000 pound boat in the summer almost every weekend. They call for a 75w-140 synthetic the two I have been considering is the Mobil 1 & the Amsoil severe gear. Which would be the better or is there something else out there better?
dunno.gif
Thanks Charlie

Pablo is there anything the Amsoil does better than the others? I notice the Mobil 1 has a few higher numbers but not by much. Does Amsoil have a better additive package? Thanks Charlie

On paper the few published numbers are pretty close. I would say the additive package of AW and EP additives in SVO are much more beefy than M1. Amsoil did not cut any corners with this product.

I've used Valvoline Synpower, M1, and Amsoil gear lubes in my Toyota Highlander front transfer case and rear differential. I was amazed at the reduction in wear iron on the drain magnet after using the Amsoil gear lube compared to the M1 or Valvoline. With Amsoil, there was hardly any particles on the magnet. With M1 and Valvoline there were plenty. I also noticed a fair amount of air bubbles in the M1 when drained from a hot rear vs. the Amsoil. Regardless of what folks say about Amsoil motor oil, the gear lubes are in a class of their own. And, if you sign up for the Preferred Customer card on the Amsoil site, the prices are comparable to M1 and Valvoline Synpower at retail.

PS. My Ram 1500 doesn't have enough miles on it yet to check out Amsoil on it, but I'm convinced it would do a great job. Also, the Amsoil site has an paper showing how their gear lube works in a Chevy PU rear end. It illustrates my point with pictures.

I was kind of leaning towards the Amsoil. I have heard a lot of good things about it. Some of the guys at work are running it & say it dropped the differential temp quite a bit which means less friction. I think I will give it a try. What do you think of the Amsoil 15w-40 or 5w-40 diesel for the cummins engine? Thanks Charlie

Any of the synthetic gear oils in the 140wt will work well.

If you want to add life to the diffs, increase the diff capacity with fancy diff covers.

I use Pennzoil synthetic 75W-140 in the rear of both my Jeeps and 75W-90 ,of the same flavour, up front for years now...nothing making noise thus far
thumbsup.gif

Talked to the Dodge dealer today they told me to run nothing but the Dodge gear oil in the differentials it is a 75w-90 synthetic it does not require a limited slip additive. Heres the catch it's $20.83 a quart it takes 7 quarts for both differentials. I really was leaning towards the Amsoil severe gear but is Dodges gear oil something special mabe in the additive package? Will this void my warranty if I run the Amsoil severe gear? HELP!! CHARLIE

Quote:

Talked to the Dodge dealer today they told me to run nothing but the Dodge gear oil in the differentials

laugh.gif
What did you expect them to tell you? They want your business. Very few dealers will tell your go buy another brand probduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back