03 Tacoma 4x4 driveshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to lube my driveshaft on my tacoma and it calls for 2 different types of grease. NLGI No.2 Lithium Base Chassis Grease is used for the universal joint, and NLGI No. 2 Molybdenum Disulfide Lithium Base Chassis Grease is used for the Slide Yoke and the Double Cardan Joint. I am thinking of using

Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GHD)Extreme-pressure, moly-fortified for the Slide Yoke and the Double Cardan Joint

and
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, NLGI #2 (GLC) for the universal joint.

Both appear to be lithium based but the one has moly in it like I need.

Can anyone tell me if these will meet the needs of my Tacoma? I am very much a newbie on grease. Thanks for any input.

after searching around I have decided to go with the Amsoil
Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GRG) instead of the Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, NLGI #2 (GLC)

I am hoping the Series 2000 for no moly and the
Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GHD) wiht moly is a good choice for my taco.

My advice, go with the Moly grease for both. For years I have lubed my U joints, slip yokes, dbl cardon joints and even shackles and aftermarket greasable bushings with MoS2 fortified grease and never had any issues with my shafts. 1 grease gun is all you need IMO and experience with 4 Toyota trucks (3 tacos 01-06). 2 of which saw severe offroad action in salt and sand.

Last edited:
I have been using moly-fortified Valvoline Synpower grease (that was the only synthetic available at my local auto parts store when I bought it) to lube my '06 4Runner's driveshaft, and I was also concerened about the call for using two different types of grease as well.

When I looked into it more, I found this thread and post by Molakule (one of BITOG's most highly respected members and owner of Specialty Formulations). Here, he says that he would NOT use a grease that doesn't contain moly in a U-joint. That was good enough for me.

Mola's view on Moly in Grease

Last edited:
I had a Toyota 4X4,1995,greased it with mostly Mystik Hi-temp,(red grease),and some Schaeffers 274 #2,,truck rusted apart at 248K or something like that,never changed any U-joints,rod ends etc all was tight,,either grease is really good ,the 274 is the best bet in your app as its aluminum complex base and is water proof with a great timkin load test..BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back