WIX 51515 on a Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some education / advice - I have a Jeep Liberty CRD diesel, and I am not happy with the factory oil filter with it. It is small, and the way the filter is designed, you can't prime it at all, not to mention I have had 2 of them leak from the seam where the end cap is crimped on. Wix lists a WIX 51516 oil filter for this application. The 51515 will physically fit (and the gasket is identical to the factory oil filter, where the 51516 is a little smaller.)

The specified oil change interval is 6,250 (for severe service) - I guess my main concern is whether or not this filter will be good for the distance or not. The 51515 & 51516 are almost identical in specs, the main difference is a 5psi burst rate difference (in favor of the 51516), a different beta ratio, and a different micron rating - here are those specs:

51515 - Beta ratio 2/20=13/23, nominal micron rating 19

51516 - Beta ratio 2/20=14/31, nominal micron rating 20

Both flow 7-9 GPM.

Any help, advice, or education will be appreciated!

This jogs something deep in my memory. I have a Liberty (not a diesel--3.7L gas, '02).
I'm thinking that when the diesels came out the issue of the filter was raised here, and Jeep specs a different filter on the diesel than the gas.

Interchange question came around to the interesting discovery that some manufacturers list the same filter--Wix apparently, as you have found. Others in fact listed two different numbers-- Fram for one, if I remember right.

I haven't checked their websites this morning, and don't remember the performance spec differences.

I have the 51516 Wix on mine now, and in fact also use it on a friend's Toyota that really had a tiny filter.

Hmmm... I wonder if the Wix site is making an error with the 3.7 litre engine filter listing. I checked both purolator's & Baldwin's sites and those sites list different filters for the 3.7 litre and the CRD. I have a CRD and it has a P1 25230 on it currently. I have a Napa Gold (Wix) 1526 waiting for the next oil change.

The Purolator site lists a 20195 for the 3.7 litre and the a/n 25230 for the CRD. Baldwin shows a B1416 as the corresponding filter for the CRD. It does not recognise Purolator's 3.7 filter number for some reason. I note that the bypass numbers for the 3.7 litre filters are similar amongst those filters while the CRD-specific filters have an elevated bypass setting. This could be important. I don't think that I will screw around with a non-CRD specific filter.

John.

It's funny that you mention the bypass setting, as that was what I was going to mention. I don't have a CRD but I do have an older 1.6l turbo-diesel VW, and if I remember correctly the bypass setting is insanely high on the OEM Mann filters that I run. I would feel comfortable running an aftermarket filter providing all parameters including bypass were appropriate.

VW has "insanely" high bypass setting on ALL their engines. The 1.8T that I had has something like 30 PSI stipulated as a bypass. But your point is taken. I am too new to diesels at this point to know if it is a common engineering requirement.

John.

Hmmm - at least Wix has a filter that will fit. I can prime the filter, so that's cool as well. And I bet it's cheaper than a MOPAR filter!

Why couldn't you prime (I assume fill with oil prior to installing) the other filter? Something preventing it in it's design?

John.

John -

Yes, it is a design issue. I would have to take a pic to explain better, but long story short, If you look down the center hole, you can't see any media at all.

What bothers me about the Wix filter that is called for (besides the bypass PSI rating) is that the gasket ID & OD is smaller than the factory by a little bit. The 51515 gasket ID & OD match. But if the bypass PSI is that far off from factory (which I can't find ANY specs for) what kind of issues will it cause ...

The filter that Fram calls for crosses to a 51315, which has a 16psi bypass setting. Hmmm ....

That must be the bypass valve in the way on the Mopar filter. I think that is referred to a sa front-end bypass and they are usually preferred due to the fact that whenever they operate in bypass mode, the incoming oil does not "wash" past the dirty-side of the media and then back into the engine.

John.

Well, I checked out a WIX 51315, which is a direct crossover from what some of the other companies (such as FRAM) spec out for my CRD. The 51315 looks almost IDENTICAL in construction to the factory filter! And it is probably just as impossible to prime as well.

I will probably either stick with the factory filter (or go with the similarly constructed WIX) - I just am NOT thrilled with the idea of not being able to prime the filter, and having a "dry start" on an engine with 18.5:1 compression!

fence.gif
Nahh, here's the one you want:

It's the 51773, extra-large capacity. Same as the Motorcraft FL299. Same fit as the 51515. I think I paid $8.

Wish it would fit - I think it would hit the skidplate though!

What are you running that monster on?

Remotely mount a bigger filter if you want.

If you have the room for the FL1a, use it. Another option is FL400s or FL2005 filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back