What provides protection against oil coking turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the party line but ain't so. I know of folks with sludge affected saabs who've used nothing of Mobil1...even before the supposed "group III" Mobil1 came about.

Turbo coking and engine sludge are two separate things. Coking is caused by high temps while sludge can be caused by low temps (in combination with other factors) and of course poor PCV systems.

Wow, the turbos were coking in the Saabs with M1? If so, were they disassembled and inspected for deposits? That is interesting.

Several people who claim to have used nothing but M1 have reported hard pebbles of coked oil in the oil pan when they dropped it. I have had the same, but since I bought mine used, I have no knowledge of the previous owner's oil preferences.

These reports go back at least a few years. Perhaps M1 has had group III that long. I certainly know no one who's used Redline who has had that problem. But then again I don't know many Redline using SAAB owners anyway! Turbo failure has been a big problem for base 9-5 owners. I'll poll the folks on my forum to see how many of them were using a synth from day one and which one it was.

elsmacko,
Quickbeam nailed it. The device is called an "Acumulator". Visualize an up-side down fire extinguisher placed slightly higher than your turbo. When you start your engine, as oil pressure builds, it fills the cannister. When you shut down the engine, and oil pressure goes to zero, a check valve releases oil in cannister and lets it "drizzle" onto turbo bearing oil feed line. Of course, letting engine "spool down" after running makes the most sense, but is not REAL WORLD as it can't be done every time. If you take this route, you'll need to add oil to your engine as this device will increase capacity.

I use an Accusump. It has an internal piston loaded by compressed air so no need for gravity feed but sure, a run of the mill accumulator will work fine. If you're handy you can make one from an old propane bottle. Just be sure it's empty first
wink.gif
. While it's true a turbo doesn't spin long after shutdown the point is to keep some oil flowing through the bearing to remove heat even after the shaft stops spinning. Plus oil that's flowing is less likely to coke than oil that' stationary. Using a synthetic probably makes all this overkill but I'm a tad anal.

Well I am running Castrol Syntec (grp3), I wonder how good this stuff is as far as resistance to coking. I'm glad I brought the question up here now, as most people have not commented on the difference between group 3, 4 or others specifically in regard to coking.

This opens a whole new can of worms for turbo owners I suppose, especially with M1 going G3.

I was running wally synthetic, then I fixed an oil leak and went to mobil 1, it burned too much oil with mobil 1, so I am now using the castrol syntec. It's only been in there about 2 weeks. I do mostly short trips; 4 trips a day of 3 miles, with 4 hours cool down in between (the engine doesn't reach full temp most the time, or just starts to get there when I shut it off).

I like to take it out on the weekend and drive the ________ out of it, which is what I just did about 20 minutes ago. A nice 15 mile each way trip, revving it good and hard, boosting that turbo and passing everything that moves
wink.gif
Gotta get that water and unburnt fuel out of the oil somehow
driving.gif

At least my turbo is watercooled. I usually let it idle at least a few seconds or more, but not always. Today's hard run I did let it cool a minute. Plus coming back I sat at a traffic light or 2 idling anyway which helps also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back