Suzuki 2006 Swift ... Which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Firstly - Brilliant resource this site.

I have been faced with the dilemma of which oil to use in my new swift. Service intervals are every 15,000 klms. It currently has 8000klms on it, and I have just changed the factory oil, to castrol magnatec 10-40 (dino oil) to keep running it in well (is a good practice I have heard)

When I hit 15,000 - I want to put a 100% synthetic in because I do a lot of running around during the day - torturing the motor, not giving it a chance to cool down properly in most cases. Some short trips as well.

Mobil suggest M1 0w-40. I'm concerned that it will be too thin upon startup and would burn... is this correct? The other one I was looking at was Castrol "edge" synthetic 5w-30. Seeing as the temps here never get below 15deg-c at night, and is usually 20-40 deg during the day - I think this might be a bit thin (manual recommends 5w30 for temps up to 30deg, 10w40 for temps not below 0deg-c, but hotter than 30deg-c)

I phoned the dealers and they all gave me a load of waffle, which didnt surprise. I contacted suzuki themselves and they suggested a 10w-40 would be great for the hot running - but wouldnt recommend a brand.

Just wanted some opinions on what to use ... (I'm in australia btw) seeing as I can't find any useful information anywhere else.

Cheers, Chris.

10W30 ILSSAC GL3 or GL4 should do you just fine.

In moderate climate, Suzuki engine typically calls for 5W30 or 10W40, and never 10W40.

Besides, I was one of them who never bought/caught on to the frenzy of "thicker oil is better"....started out with 10W30, down to 5W30, and now 5W20 for my dad's Honda.

Sorry typo, it should be 10W30 for moderate climate, not 10W40 .

*I served a Suzuki dealer in the past so I'm quite familiar with their specs*

In my opinion 15,000 km is far too long to leave oil in the engine, unless you are going to add the expense of used oil analysis (UOA). I would not recommend UOA either. 8000 km is max with a synthetic and 5000 is better if you are using a conventional oil.

Most of your wear in the engine is at startup so running around all day and not letting it cool off, is what your car likes. Much better on a per km basis than the little old lady driving it 2 miles to the grocery store or church once a day.

An oil at ideal running temperature is going to be around 8-12 cSt. Even a 0w40 is likely to be 50 or more times heavier than that at startup. No oil is too light at start up, and that is when wear occurs.

Mobil 1 is a good oil. 5w30 may be the best price?? If so I would go with that grade. 0w30 would work too, but likely is hard to find. Not familiar with brands and prices in Australia.

I'm surprised that Suzuki has not recommended the 5w20, which would be better still.

I am not sure which engine the Swift has but I have a 2000 Suzuki Esteem with 1he 1.8 J18a engine. 143,000 trouble free miles. This thing hits its 6500 RPM redline every chance I get, which is a lot as I drive 120 miles per day(30mpg by the way) Suzuki engines are bulletproof. I routinely cruise it(law enforcement permitting!) at 4000+ RPM (85mph.) I use Amsoil 10w-30 with the EAO oil filter. I change the oil every 15,000 miles. I have an UOA posted for the Suzuki.

I have had 2 Suzuki's in the past now work in at a dealership that works on Zook's and 0W-30 or 40 would be fine especially Synthetic and the only difference to you will be faster startup lubrication, a positive.

Heck they even have a manual change for one vehicle the Verona (Daewoo Suzuki) that changed the oil recommendations from 5W-30 and 10W-30 to 5W-30 and 10W-40???? Go figure I looked and asked got no response. Weird huh???

There new XL-7 will have no change interval given other than OLM or one year which ever comes first and they will be using Mobil 1 here stateside. 5W-30.

So you wouldnt recommend the 5w-30 castrol?

Mobil recommends the 0w-40 for this car (it has the m15a type engine) and I am seriously considering it. Would like to use amsoil but over here in australia, it's too expensive. $130+ per bottle.

I just want to use the best I can for it, to make the engine last as long as possible.
smile.gif

Forgot to add - M1 is not available in a 5w30 here which sucks. Otherwise I would not have posted this lol.

Thanks for your help guys. Also, I don't know a great deal about oil standards so if you go into it - please just touch on what they mean so I have some idea...

M15a with VVT, that's interesting. What is the redline, 7000 RPM? I doubt you could go wrong with the Mobil 0w-40. Suzuki makes a tough engine, they all have a little "Hayabusa" in them.

I think you will be ok to use Mobil 1 10W-30 as I do in my Toyota Kluger and Corolla, I would use 5W-30 if it were available. I am non too keen on Castrol Edge, although it is about half the cost of Mobil 1 here in Australia as it is Grp 111. Besides I do not think there is much difference in using 10W-30 compared to 5W-30 in a hot climate we have here. I change as per Toyota schedule 10k kms as both cars are still under warranty and will continue this regime when they are out of warranty.
Roger

Hi,my wife runs a 2006 suzuki swift 1.5--super little car,has just had its first 9000 mile service for which i supplied the dealer with GM synthetic 5/30 which meets ACEA A3 B3 B4 plus the GM long life spec.

From what i can discover this oil is made for GM by TotalFinaElf in Belgium and seems to be quite a robust package what with the A3 and GM longlife spec.
At its price in the UK £17.00 at a local motor factors this seems to be superb value-- even if it probably is a group three product,big deal,for the specs and price it seems to be a real bargain.
Fully intend to run the swift on this oil and 9000 mile service intervals for a long time,best wishes gus

I was looking at the 10w30 - but the 0w-40 is what mobil recommends for that engine. I am unsure of why, I am thinking of ringing them.

I am happy to spend the extra $$ on the mobil because it's a terrific product on what I have heard.

Redline is 6500. It goes very well, its a terrific little motor. about 75kw and 130nm torque i think.

So mobil1, 0w-40 is the general opinion here I am gathering?

Would anyone know why mobil would recommend the 0w-40 for it though - if 5w30 is better for the climate we have here.

Suzi also recommends a 10w-40 for moderate climates which seems odd?

Just trying to get my head around it.

From castrol's Spanish web site:
SUZUKI
Swift 1.5i (M15A - 75kW)
Recomendado Performance 5W-40 (e) 3.9 L
Alternativo Performance 10W-40 (e)
Recomendaciones alternativas, Motor (gasolina): 10W-30; >-7°C, 20W-40 / 20W-50

From castrol's French web oil advisor:
3ème TXT Softec 5W-40 (e) 3.9
2ème TXT Softec Plus 5W-30 (e)
1er Formula SLX Longtec 0W-30 (e)

e. Autres recommandations, Moteur (Essence): 10W-30; >-7°C, 20W-40 / 20W-50

So generally speaking you can run almost any oil you like according to the climate conditions you may encounder, from 0W30 to 20W50.

Quote:

Forgot to add - M1 is not available in a 5w30 here which sucks. Otherwise I would not have posted this lol.

Thanks for your help guys. Also, I don't know a great deal about oil standards so if you go into it - please just touch on what they mean so I have some idea...

I found this guy in Aussie ebay that sell NGK platinum plugs also sell Mobil, Redline and Royal purple engine oil. Check him out.

Ebay Australia

I have telephoned the Mobil and Castrol tech info line (Australia) asking about oils for my Toyota Kluger (Highlander) and Corolla and they both recommended 0W-40 for both engines.
Roger

This is the common answer in my home country too. The common and most frequent recommendation are 5w40, be it Corolla, Swift, Civic, Accord or any other vehicle.

Quote:

I have telephoned the Mobil and Castrol tech info line (Australia) asking about oils for my Toyota Kluger (Highlander) and Corolla and they both recommended 0W-40 for both engines.
Roger

For US BITOGers. If you use the Aus to US conversion of $1.00 Aus = $.77 US, that's 0W-31 which rounds to 0W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back