US Bans vegemite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard today that vegemite has been banned in the U.S. because it contains folate.

Any locals got a handle on this ?

First they buy an Aussie icon brand, then don't use it...wierd.
confused.gif

Hmm, why would the FDA have something against folate? Folate is added to most processed foods! Maybe there's too much sodium in Vegemite? Maybe some folks think you're supposed to use half the jar on one slice of toast.
tongue.gif

I can't confirm that Vegemite has really been banned. According to the internet the ban is real. Yet I see Vegemite and Marmite on the shelf at Cost Plus World Market. I buy a jar about every 6 weeks or so. I'll investigate!

Shannow,

A better question is who would want to eat that stuff???
smile.gif

I'll take some jumbo shrimp on the barbie, thank you....

TS

It may be the amount of folate in Vegemite. After some searching around, it seems 1 mg/day is the maximum level considered safe by the FDA. Perhaps the folate levels in vegemite exceed that amount?

Almost sounds like:

a) internet, bad news thing
b) archaic, protectionist law to protect the folic acid ranchers
c) vegemite hater lobbyists got to Congress

I searched for folate and folic acid import bans and came up empty. Seems like lots of Chinese places are willing and ready to overrun us with folic acid, though.
stirthepot.gif

from Wikipedia (http://fixedreference.org/2006-Wikipedia-CD-Selection/wp/f/Folic_acid.htm):

"Conversely, in the early 2000s, the US FDA prevented the import of Vegemite from Australia, citing, as the reason, that the folic acid levels are too high. In 2005 it was impossible for Australian Expatriates to buy Vegemite in jars of larger than 113 grams (4 oz.)."

I didn't know Vegemite even came in a bigger jar! A jar lasts me up to two months. I don't understand how anybody could possibly eat too much Vegemite. It's very salty, not to mention an acquired taste. I doubt that selling only small jars will prevent some idiot from having three jars a day, though.
tongue.gif

So it's not necessarily banned, just the "dose" is adjusted. I've just checked my Oz owned yeast extract, and it's got 0.05mg/teaspoon (serve)...20 teaspoons to reach the max recommended RDI is a pretty major overdose.

Do they limit how much breakfast ceral and bread can be bought at once as well ?

Using it as a seasoning in stews and gravies is a pretty common thing down here. Never seen it in lentils.

Quote:

Do they limit how much breakfast ceral and bread can be bought at once as well ?

Not yet.

PS: I don't like lentils. I don't believe Vegemite can hurt their flavor.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back