Supertech Antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 3 gallons of non-diluted Supertech antifreeze tonight from Wally World. Is this good stuff? Same as any other antifreeze? Or should I return it and get another brand?

It's green in color and says you can mix it with ANY vehicle and ANY color antifreeze. It has "ANY" capitalized several times in the back. I was gonna use it in my '96 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins and my '00 Honda Accord. My Honda manual strictly says to use Honda brand antifreeze just like it says to strictly use Honda ATF-Z1. I can understand the ATF but I'm not sure about the antifreeze. What do you guys think? Should I use it in there? Is it really ok to mix with any color coolant?

Oh yea... And where do you guys get distilled water? They used to sell it at the vending machines outside the grocery stores but I haven't seen it in a while...

The Supertech All Makes/All Models, is basically the same as Prestone All Marks/All Models. You shouldn't have any problems with it. Most manufacturer's recommend using their own anti-freeze, but it's not necessary. I personally wouldn't mix it, I'd rather flush the entire system and start fresh, but it may not be an issue with mixing.

Was that a Wal-Mart Super Center that you were at? If so, they sell distilled water in the grocery section for like 60 cents (in my area).

Should be fine for the Honda. Not sure about the Cummins; don't some diesel engines require nitrites or similar for wet liners? Call up Prestone and see what they say.

Transmissions are much more complex than cooling systems. It's highly recommended that you use the correct OE fluid (or at least an equivalent) for optimal shifting and durability.

i have had supertech antifreeze in my fiances beetle for approx a year and a half. zero problems.

It will do fine. Use it with no worries...
approved.gif

In a Honda, as well as Toyota as CCI makes the coolant, I think Peak Long Life is a better choice. Honda doesn't like 2-EHA in their engines.

That said, GM filled Saturn Vues with the Honda V6 motors with DEX-COOL despite Honda's alarmist warnings. If there were problems, given BITOGers' penchant for breathless sensationalism, I'm sure we'd have all read about them by now. On a personal note, I ran Havoline DEX-COOL in a '96 Accord for 3 1/2+ years with zero problems. I'm over two full years with SuperTech's dexclone in my '03 Sonata aluminum V6. Zero problems. Zip, nada

Well I think I'm just going to go ahead and use it in both vehicles as well as mixing it with the current coolant. I find it very hard to get all the existing coolant out of the system. So I'm just going to do a drain and refill several times over the course of a few thousand miles. The supertech coolant meets the requirements for the Cummins and it also specifically states that it's safe for aluminum engines. So it should be good in the Accord V6. Also, it's green so I feel more comfortable mixing it with the current green coolant in both engines. I'd feel more iffy to run an orange coolant with a green one even though they say it's safe (ie. peak, zerex, etc.).

Quote:

That said, GM filled Saturn Vues with the Honda V6 motors with DEX-COOL despite Honda's alarmist warnings. If there were problems, given BITOGers' penchant for breathless sensationalism, I'm sure we'd have all read about them by now. On a personal note, I ran Havoline DEX-COOL in a '96 Accord for 3 1/2+ years with zero problems. I'm over two full years with SuperTech's dexclone in my '03 Sonata aluminum V6. Zero problems. Zip, nada

I have dexcool in a Vibe (toyota engine) and everything is fine so far. maybe the different long life antifreeze's isn't such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back