White stuff inside radiator hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flushed out my cooling system today. During this process, I removed the lower radiator hose from the radiator and the thermostat housing.

When I looked inside, there was some white stuff on the inside of the hose that went away when I put water on it and appeared when the water dried up. What is this white stuff in the hose? Is it mineral deposit or stuff from aging rubber?

Since it is one of my radiator hose, should I believe that stuff is inside the rest of the cooling system also? If so, is it possible to clean this stuff out?

I don't recall seeing white stuff lookng through the fill hole on my radiator.

I had the very same thing in the radiator bottom hole. I think it is like calcuim mixed with water. My radiator was shot and had to replace it !!!

Not to worry, I must say when you removed the lower radiator hose, was the flow from the hole smooth and fast. If it was then you are OK, in my case it would come slowly, stop, start slowly and would drain the 4Q over a long time -- meaning a clog.

The water was coming out of the lower radiator opening as fast as I could put water in with the hose from both the upper hose opening and the fill neck.

Use distilled water and RMI25 in cooling systems. RMI25 will prevent the minerals from sticking.

I think the last time the cooling system was flushed, it was filled with tap water.

I only used tap water to flush out the system. After flushing I drained it, then filled the system with distilled water, drove around for about 10 min, and drained. Filled with coolant and distilled water.

If I use RMI25 now, will it remove those minerals? But then where will they go when they are removed from the surfaces? Are they suspended like how oil suspends contaminants?

Wouldn't it be extremely nifty if the manufacturers would install easily accessable coolant filters?

There are aftermarket set-ups bit none that I saw tickled my innards.

If I had the talent needed to concoct a super-neato filtering system, prefarably using spin-on cartridge-type filter I believe I would get around to doing that some day.

But, lacking the manual dexterity and "eye" for creating an assembly out of several components gathered from sundry sources I, the Mighty Obbop, will have to continue the search for the bodacious babe with the requisite skills, woo her, get her into the shanty for a spell, and turn her loose to perform the desired task.

Those gals are hard to find.

http://www.technilube.com/products/rmi25.htm

RMI25 does exactly what they say it does- A Cleaner that breaks down rust, scale and corrosive deposits. These deposits are changed from solids to a soft floating harmless gel-like material. These dissolved solids will not recombine or form blockages in the cooling system. After a period of time the dissolved solids will purge out of the system and into the coolant recovery tank. In the case of vehicles with coolant filters the dissolved materials will trap in the filter. In a couple weeks of driving a dirty system will be nearly clean.

Another mail order item? Too bad the site goes back to Amsoil...

If you take care of your rad, you do not need to spend $20.

hey Buy25 what's your old screen name? You remind me of someone.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back