sae 10w aw, iso equiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mM 933 cat. loader requires a sae 10w hydro. oil. What would be the equiv. aw or iso number? Am I to believe that ISO and AW numbers are the same?

I've looked at the viscosity charts but really can't determine what's what.

My local tractor store (not tractor supply) hands an aw 32 to me when I request 10 weight hydro. oil.

Thanks for any help here.

ents

Your local tractor supply store handed you the correct viscosity. SAE 10 weight is equivalent to ISO 32. SAE is used in automotive and ISO is a industrial viscosity rating.

They are the same viscosity but no where near the same oils. CAT requires a minimum of 900 ppm of zinc to avoid damage (a typical ISO 32 industrial hydraulic oil will have between 300 and 600 ppm), detergent to keep the servos clean, and emulsifiers to keep the moisture from condensing and getting drawn up into the system causing cavitation. I have a lot of information on this on my site www.widman.biz if you can handle the spanish. Otherwise download the fluids recomendations booklet from www.cat.com or the hydraulic fluids booklet.
Industrial equipment is stationary, a 933 is in constant movement.

Right, what it needs is a good motor oil additive package, preferably in viscosity 10W or 10W-30, but we use 15W-40 in some areas where we have ambient temperature swings of 30F to 130F.

Lots of John Deere ag dealerships stock 10W motor oil- combine and sprayer hydraulic systems use it.

Quote:

10w is a 20 weight. I dunno the add package that comes with it.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

10W is a SAE 10 weight or ISO 30 viscosity and 20 weight is just that, a SAE 20 weight or a ISO 68 viscosity. They are not the same.

Oops, make that ISO 32 not 30. Fingers typing faster than the brain could work.
smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

10w is a 20 weight. I dunno the add package that comes with it.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

10W is a SAE 10 weight or ISO 30 viscosity and 20 weight is just that, a SAE 20 weight or a ISO 68 viscosity. They are not the same.

There is no such oil weight as "10w". Only oils that meet 10w spec's. They're 20 weight oils ..even hydraulic oils.

10W oil is a 10W-20. It's frequently an HDEO. Go to any product data sheet and you'll see that it's a 20 weight oil that also meets 10w cold performance specs. I have 5 gallons of it in my garage that I ran in my minivan.

It is NOT SAE 10 weight oil.

PZ LL HDEO 10W

Viscosity
@ 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445: 38
@ 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445: 6.5

20 weight is 5.60-9.29

I'm open to alternative points of view ..but 6.5 CST @ 100C is a 20 weight
dunno.gif

Mobil 10W hydraulic - 6.1 CST ...looks like a 20 weight to me
dunno.gif

Delo 400 10w - 7.0 .......looks like a 20 weight to me too
dunno.gif

Now, please, tell me where I got this wrong
confused.gif

gary you are right BUT you can have a 10W (the w means winter) grade of oil that is a 7.0 cSt @100 IF it meets the low temp CCS for a 10W oil and CALL it a 10W grade oil.

OR you can call it a 10W/20 multi grade either name is correct.
bruce

Thanks, bruce ...that's what I thought. It's essentially a 20 weight oil that meets 10w spec's.

Just so we're on the same page...

A 10w is typically a 20 weight fluid that meets 10W spec's ..there may be some fluids designated "10W" that may in fact also be SAE 10 weight ..but I haven't seen any. (admittedly I haven't looked beyond my usage).

A 10 weight fluid should automatically qualify as a 10W-10 fluid ..just like 20w-20. It's what those respective weights are supposed to fall into in terms of cold spec's.

as far as the SAE goes there is NO "real" straight 10wt oil but that has not stopped the industry from selling one me included LOL. But as I said there is a 10W grade oil somepeople think the W means wt it does not IMHO.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back