Oil and Filte for 2001 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 Turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys. My bro just bought a VW Jetta. The guy he bought it from, took it to jiffy lube it's whole life. My brother bought the car with 95,000 miles. I was going to buy some Amsoil 5w40 Oil from Pablo but my brother is coming tomorrow unexpected. Will Castrol 5w40 Synthetic do fine with a Purolator filter?

Another question: I 've heard horror story of 1.8T sludging. What is a good Engine flush for this engine? Could regularly using Synthetic oil clean the engine?

Sludging is mainly an issue with the heavier Passats and Audi A4's that have the smaller, 3.7 quart sumps and the longitudinally oriented engines. The Jettas/Golfs/NB's and Audi TT's can certainly benefit from a top tier synthetic. However if this car had 3000 mile oil changes with an API SJ/SL/SM quality lube, it should be in decent shape. I would run two, 3000 mile oil/filter change intervals with the Castrol at first. That will do a decent job of cleaning out any pre-existing deposits from using inferior oils.

The Castrol 0w-30/5w-40/10w-40 or even 5w-50 will all be okay to run in this motor. However,I'd use an oil filter that has the correct bypass valve setting (33 psid) for this application. One of our site sponsors carries the WIX line and they make an oil filter for this application. There are also plenty of online places to get the excellent MANN "Longlife" filters.

I think he'll like this vehicle...it's pretty light and with the 180 Hp version of this engine, it performs very well.

TS

I drove it and liked it.. kind of( I like my Hyundai better).. but anyways. we bought 5w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic and a Bosch Filter.

The previous owner took it to a Valvoline quick lube place and used Dino Oil . I hope the engine is not sludgy.

Quote:

There isn't any GC in my area.. only Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 5w40

Have you looked at the Auto Zone parts stores? That is the only place I am aware of that handles it.

All our AZ stores out here have some but some have the "German" gold and some have the "German" "European Formula" as well. I think the GC Gold is a bit better myself, but I'm feeling that.. Strong feeling ...

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Oops. I meant to say that we bought Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 and Mobil 1 Oil filter.

I was so amazed how how thick and gooey the old oil was. The owner used Valvoline Conventional wiht Valvoline filter(probably fram). The old oil literally looked like chocolate milk. We also changed the Airfilter and it clearly hasn't been changed since it was new.

Oh well, WE'll see the results when the car reaches 105,000 miles with this fresh mobil 1.

Tooslick: The oil capacity of the 1.8 Turbo is 4.4 quarts.

HH,

Yes, but only in that car, the Golf and the NB. They had to change the design of the oil pan for the front-back oriented engines in the Passat/A4.

My Audi TT roadster with the 225 Hp version of that same engine holds 4.8 qts, so these engines vary somewhat.

TS

I'd ARX that engine twice before dumping GC or any other synthetic into it. That is not an engine that responds well to suboptimal maintenance.

IMO, any API SJ or better 30-50 wt. synthetic, changed at 5-7k mile intervals will keep this engine happy for at least 200k additional miles.

p.s. I have a '00 GTI 1.8T with 81k miles, that has seen all kinds of oil (including cheap dino for 6k+ mile intervals) & filters (even a few Frams) since I got it with 15k miles on it in 2003. Everything still looks very clean under the valve cover.

Don't worry about the 0W-30 German Castrol or the 5W-30 Mobil 1. They are great oils. HOWEVER, I would never recommend 30W-50 in that engine. It does not have the flow at start up temps, especially if you are anywhere that the starting temps are below 75 degrees F. I think Dr. AE Haas would also agree to that.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

I would never recommend a 30w-50 either. That's why we flushed the Mobil 1 oil out and put in Coastal 75w90 gear oil into the engine. What do you think of that?

Quote:

HappyHyundai wrote: I would never recommend a 30w-50 either. That's why we flushed the Mobil 1 oil out and put in Coastal 75w90 gear oil into the engine. What do you think of that?

spankme.gif
Everyone knows that 75w90 is not nearly thick enough for the application. 85w140 would have been much better.

Quote:

I would never recommend a 30w-50 either. That's why we flushed the Mobil 1 oil out and put in Coastal 75w90 gear oil into the engine. What do you think of that?

Actually, a typical 75w-90 gear oil has a viscosity of about 16 cSt @ 100 deg. C, so about the same as an Xw-40 engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back