Oversized oil filter on a Jeep 4.0..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to see if upgrading to an oversize oil filter would make much difference. It seems to be a popular mod with in the Jeep community. Also, would doing this affect the PSI much?
confused.gif

Something like this:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

Effects on pressure? None. If you've got the right angle mount (which I think you do = XJ99) ..you can go as big as you want..typically. If not, then the different year 4.0 can have slightly different angles to the filter mount.

I'd recommend a 51515 Wix or a PL30001 PureOne ..but I guess it would depend on your oil change habits in terms of how often you swap them out in terms of sensible costs (not that there is any, cast in stone, requirement to be sensible with lubrication).

If you're convinced that this is the way to go in size, then you can get the 51515 from fleetfilter.com for a very reasonable price for a high quality filter. About 2.68 each ..which is a steal ..if you can soak up enough of the S&H by getting enough of them. You can mix up the order for mulitple vehicles

Despite the preppiness of running the mobil one filter, switching to the 3/4x16 thread opens up a world of filter possibilities. Walmart's huge ST-8 is still $2.07 and if you catch an advance auto sale the AA-8A is $1.34. Even the cheap filters have lots of media and oil storage. These cross to the PL30001 Gary Allen mentions and that M1-301.

If space is tight one can run the ST-16 which is 60% as long.

I squeeze a Motorcraft FL1A onto our '91 XJ and it's got the mount that puts the filter into the wiring harness.
I also use this filter on our '00 Grand Cherokee.

Whenever I get a ST or Motorcraft filter I ALWAYS check the threads. I've seen new ones with chewed up threads and even metal slivers hanging off of them.

Quote:

I squeeze a Motorcraft FL1A onto our '91 XJ and it's got the mount that puts the filter into the wiring harness.
I also use this filter on our '00 Grand Cherokee.

Whenever I get a ST or Motorcraft filter I ALWAYS check the threads. I've seen new ones with chewed up threads and even metal slivers hanging off of them.

You can rotate that mount at any angle that's convenient for your needs. Just loosen the bolt and turn it.

What if the media varies between two different sizes of the same brand of filter? Would having a bigger filter and a bit more oil in the engine offset a media that doesn't filter as well? You've already got 6 quarts of oil...

I was just asking because it seems to be a popular mod with in the Jeep community...

I'll probably just stick with the factory setup. I have faith my WIX 51085 is doing it's job. That reminds me, I'm do for an oil change!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back