xW-40 in GM 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading posts where excellent results are being had with a xW-40 in the GM 5.3 engines. With that in mind, what oil do you recommend? I have Amsoil in my other vehicles. Unfortunately, Amsoil does not have a 5X-40, which is what I think I want to run. Therefore, I'm looking at the new Mobil 1 T&S. Or, should I use Amsoil 10W-40. I want something I can run all year in Ohio. I will not switch brands from season to season. I'm currently in the flush stage of my Auto-Rx treatment on the '01 GMC Sierra 4x4. Any advice would be appreciated.

Amsoil does have a 5w40 coming out very soon actually.

There is also the Syntec 5w40, as well as Havoline 5w40.

The best 5w40 of all is most likely Redline 5w40 though.

My boss just put in the German Castrol 0w-30 in his 5.3L Tahoe. He swears it runs smoother than the 5w-30 dino the dealer put in on his last OCI.

The GC has shown some good UOAs as well as the 5w-40. It would give you the year round with the 0w and the heavy 30 weight (summer).

I'm not into Amsoil, but their 30 wts. look pretty robust, so I'm not sure that you really need a 5W-40 over one of those.

The GC 0W-30 looks good also. I agree.

These would be something to try, imho, but for a 5W-40 go for the new Mobil SUV formula.

My goal here to find the right 40 weight oil. The thicker oil is reported to quiet these modular engines down without a loss in economy. I don't seem to have the dreaded piston slap but do have noisy lifters when I first start it up. When's this Amsoil 5W-40 supposed to be out. I'd love to get ahold of some of that!

What about Mobil 1 0w-40? How would it compare to the coming T&SUV? Will the 0w-40 shear down? Is this oil yet readily available?

The Mobil 0w-40 (available at AutoZone) will shear down faster than the Delvac 1 5w-40. The Amsoil 10w-40 is less shear stable than their AME 15w-40. The 0w-40 and 10w-40 are better suited for the Eurocar set requiring the A3 rating.

Since you do not have Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-40 yet, why not get some Delvac 1 from a truckstop, local distributor, or George our site sponsor? I realize it is only sold by the gallon but that's what funnels and quart bottles are good for using.

[ March 11, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

I'd run the Series 3000, 5w-30 in this one ....You could also go with this new 5w-40 stuff, but I suspect the TBN won't be as high and it won't be as shear stable ....The 10w-40 is really thicker than you need for this engine, until you have over 200k miles on it. Current spec sheet shows HT/HS viscosity is now 4.3 Cp, so it's really better for diesel pickups or VW TDI's and not a gas engine.

I'd be comfortable with a 15k/1 year drain, with a filter change and top off halfway through. My brother has a GMC pickup with the 4.8L Vortec and I'll probably get him some S3000 to test.

TS

I know it is not for every engine but in my 5.3 Vortec Mobil 1 10w30 seems to be doing pretty well and the engine is very quiet and smooth.

I think my 5.3L will be seeing AME 15W40 soon. Why? I don't know? Will I do a UOA? I don't know? Glad to hear they are making a 5W40 soon. It will be easier to sell to the TDI guys who don't want 15W or are afraid of 5W30 HDD.

I special ordered a 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 and Towing Package. Yes, I do actually work my truck.

I have tried the following viscosity oils:

Mobil 1 0W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 10W-30
Mobil 1 15W-50

My Vortec started making start-up noises once the temp dipped below 0 F. At the time, I still had the dino 5W-30 for break-in. I put in 0W-30 and no more noise, even at -42.

However, in summer hot temps, especially towing +8,000 lbs, I get a LOT of ticktickticktick noises unless I run M1 10W-30. I tried M1 15W-50 in April of 2001 before heavy towing down to Utah and Nevada and loved this oil: motor VERY quiet, no oil consumption at all.

When you consider that the API/SAE "Starburst" SL oil is allowed to thicken +275% over 96 hours and still pass the test with flying colors, why worry about running a stable oil like Delvac 1 5W-40 that is purposely designed NOT to thicken?

This whole issue of folks getting outraged over running a stable 5W-40 or 15W-50 oil is really something. Why not run the thicker, more stable oil? Since I want to keep this truck +10 years, I'm for anything to extend its life.

As M1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 IS Delvac 1, both have a TBN of 12. SHould prove to be a very stable oil, especially for hard use in high temps. It does exceed CI-4, which requires an oil to avoid thickening with severe soot loads.

Jerry

The only thing I see is that M1 10w30 has a higher flash point than the T/SUV 5w40.

-T

blsnelling: I have a LOT of commercial trucking experience with Delvac 1 and know this is a good product. Too bad the CI-4 reformulation thickened it up so much in cold temps, I wouldn't use it below -35 C.

I have thought of M1 0W-40 but don't know anything about it. Also can't get it locally, so why go through the hassle of hunting it down.

T-Keith: Flash point is just one measurement of many in oil testing. If Mobil 1 10W-30 has a higher flash point than Delvac 1, perhaps I should use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my Cummins ISX motors??

Jerry

My '03 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3L V8 is on it's third oil change (I follow the Oil Life Monitor) I used Mobil 1 10W30 for the first 2 changes and experienced light oil consumption (1 qt per 8,000 miles) on both OCI's. After research here and elsewhere, I used Havoline 10W30 for this oil change and so far have zero oil consumption after 4,000 miles.
I will be switching to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W40 at the next oil change (expecting another 5,000).
I should point out that at these OCI's cost of the oil is not a real issue, I am seeking engine longevity (I do 30,000+ a year and expect to keep this truck for 5-10 years).

There are some general trends you can count on:

1) Oils with higher molecular weight basestocks, like 10w-30/15w-40/20w-50 will burn less than low vis lubes with thinner basestocks. For example a 15w-40 synthetic will outperform a 5w-50 synthetic in terms of oil consumption and thermal stability.
The original, 1990 vintage, 5w-50 Syntec had a Noack Volatility of about 17% as I recall!

2) Narrow range oils, like 15-40, will evaporate less than wide range lubes like 0w-40. The key here is that a significant part of what evaporates is the polymeric thickener.

3) If you use an oil with too wide a range, you will compromise both high and low temp performance. A narrow range, "purpose built" multigrade is you best bet for severe service applications - something like a 0w-30/5w-30 or a 15w-50/20w-50 - for low and high temps, respectively.

4) PAO/Esters have the lowest evaporation rates, with GP III's a distant second and GP II's a close third ....

5) A thicker oil will reduce oil consumption but is most effective if this consumption is mainly due to wear and not simply high engine temps.

If that is the case, then how do you explain that my '89 GMC 5.7 never used a drop of Syntec 5w-50 and went to 1qt/4k miles on Mobil1 10w-30? My '93 GM 3800 double it's consumption to 1qt/4k miles as well.

Also, are the afore mentioned comments based on evidence seen with the 0w-40 and 5w-40 oils we have been discussing here? Or are they general rules of thumb that may not apply to these new oil? I ask because I have seen no evidence of these oils burning off. Delvac 1 is considered to be the industry standard. The above comments would suggest that it compromises both high and low temp performance and is more likely to burn off than 15w-40 oils which are not even synthetic. Those assuptions would probably be true for mineral oil but all of these oils in discussion here are synthetic. I really don't want this thread to turn into a comparison of 15w-40 oils with 0/5w-40 oils. Lets try to keep the discusion to the 0/5w-40 oils. I appreciate the lively discussion though.

[ March 12, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: blsnelling ]

My comments assume you are comparing formulations with similar basestocks and additive packages. Even the quality of the VI modifier can affect oil consumption ....

In addition, the volatility of Mobil 1 is also not all that great for a PAO based oil. However, in your case the 10w-30 may have simply been getting past the rings and valve guide seals, and not simply evaporating and being burned through the PCV system ....

You always have to compare oils with similar basestocks ....

I should have said a 15w-40 synthetic will burn off less than a 0w-40 or 5w-40 synthetic. Oil consumption with a 5w-40, GP III oil and a 15w-40 petroleum lube tends to be pretty comparable ....

Oil consumption with a 5w-40, PAO based oil like Delvac 1 will be much lower than for a 15w-40 petro lube ....I say nice things about Delvac 1 all the time - it's clearly their best formulation, IMNSHO ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back