Connecting two Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The configuration wizard is the included software that guides cretins like me through the setup procedure. The wizard works only on a PC.

Until now nobody actually mentioned the required steps until you did. For example, how on Earth would I now that no username is required and that the password is "admin"? I swear, I couldn't tell by looking in my crystal ball.
tongue.gif

I'll give it another shot. It's easier with instructions (if they are accurate). Thanks!

My instructions are only 1/2 of what needs to be done. You need to know your ISP connection method also, whether it be "PPPoe" or DHCP. Once you get into the admin screen you have to set the WAN or Internet connection type. This is the part that gets you on the internet.

The "5 minute setup time" is WITH ASSISTANCE

I've also followed a Belkin manual that should work, but it doesn't. Some information is always being left out. I've had it with the piecemeal instructions. I have no idea why there's this tendency to obscure and mystify instead of being concise and accurate. I don't want to be a hero. Thanks to all.
tongue.gif

Problem number one turned out to be my Earthlink ZyXEL modem, which actually was a router. I had to put that into Bridge Mode in order to use the Linksys router.

The second problem was Safari. In Safari, the router configuration changes could not be saved, which wasn't obvious and took time to figure out. I downloaded Netscape 7.2 and there was no problem at all setting up the router. Now both Macs can go online simultaneously. File sharing is easily made possible by simply enabling AppleTalk.

So all is good now.
wink.gif

Good to hear you have it working 100%!!

Just a precautionary note, Netscape 7.2 (which was my favorite browser for quite some time) doesn't have any security patches in it for the last year or. Netscape 8 has the patches, but probably still isn't available for the Mac.

Mozilla's web browser (the source project for both Firefox and Netscape) offers the same browsing experience with all the current security patches.

Just my $0.02.

cheers.gif

I went of the deep end a long time ago!
lol.gif

I'm not using Netscape for browsing. With the new Mac I use Safari and with the old one I use Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back