Delo 400 15w-40 in twin-turbo RX7 rotary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a high-quality diesel-rated oil like Delo 400 15w-40 OK for use with the twin-turbo RX7 rotary, esp. for just daily driving ?

I would think so, esp. since it can deal with more soot/acid/blow-by than passenger gasoline oil.

However, will it burn "ashless" since it injects a little of the engine-oil to lubricate the apex seals ?

Thanks,
:) neil

with a sulfated ash of one or more percent, I doubt it would burn ashless.

Seriously, I'd disable the oil injection, and premix some 2 stroke oil.

Then run delo.

If it were me.

What soot/acid/blowby are you worrying about? Its a rotary and should have frequent enough oil changes not to worry about oil type.

And, premix is the best way to go. If that is out of the question(cause it can be a hassle), then you need to make sure that the A/F ratios are prefect since oil is not the only source for carbon buildup.

Because of the turbos, I'd use a synthetic for the last bit of protection, and thumb my nose at the anti-synthetic-in-a-rotary crowd.

Regular usage of FI cleaners will also help with that so-called carbon problem.

I have a 1987 non turbo and the best oil I ever have used in it was the Dello 400 15W-40. Reason being was that the detergents kept it from carboning up like it did with most other oils. We rotary owners know that if the car sets for a few days that oil pools in the bottom of the combustion chanbers and it will smoke a bit when you start it. This puddle of oil will soften carbon around the apex seals and keeps them clean. I tried synthetic in mine, but didn`t like it as too much oil pooled after sitting and it smoked badly when started. I have 296,000 miles on the original engine and it hasn`t been babied! It would be fine in a turbo IMHO. If you have ever had flooding issues, don`t hesitate to do the fuel pump cut out switch thing you hear about and kill it with the switch everytime. Then when you start the car, start turning over the engine first before turning on the switch. No more flooding ever again.

If carbon build up is your enemy, Redline oil is your best friend. It has a high flashpoint AND it burns cleanly. Best of all worlds. Turbo cars really want a synthetic oil. Also, a bypass filter like a Frantz or Motorguard should work wonders on a rotary turbocharged engine.Almost all of your apex seal and turbo bearing wear comes from carbonized particles from blowby past your apex seal. A bypass filter will remove this contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back