Which synthetic 10w-40 in a vq35de?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I want to know what the best 10w-40 synthetic motor oil for my application is. I am leaning towwards Amsoil because I have used the 5w-30 for the past couple of years. After reading this forum and taking the fact thatt I live in southern California (and my manuak says I can use it) into account I am switching to 10w-40 multigrade. Which synthetic do you guys recommend and why? Thanks in advance.

I can't seem to edit my previous post so before I get flamed I know its spelled manual not manuak.

I too have no idea what a "vq35de" is, but after much soul- (and BITOG-)searching, I've changed to Red Line from Mobil 1. I live in the AZ desert and I'll be using RL 10W-40 in the 6 months of summer and RL's 5W-40 in the 6 months of nonsummer. I'll be changing every 6 months which will be about every 10,000 miles, about HALF of Porsche's recommended 20,000 miles.

For my Cayenne Turbo, Porsche recommends Mobil 1 in the US, in 0W-40 in all temps, and 5W-40 or 5W-50 in temps above -13dF/-25dC. With the summer lows in my garage of about 90dF., it doesn't need the cold flow of 5W, while the engine parts get potentially way too hot to have any viscosity-index improvers* in the summer oil.

* The ONLY oil in which Red Line uses VIIs is the 5W-40, according to RL's Dave Granquist.

Just curious, why do you want to go with a 10W-40 instead of a 10W-30? Are you worried about the viscosity shearing down? Thats generally a property of a good synth, that it stays in grade longer than most dinos. The 10W-30 can take the heat too, I personally don't think the engine needs a 10W-40 and may give better performance with the 10W-30. Also, that engine is built with very tight tolerances and the thinner weight multi is probably better suited IMHO.

To answer your question though, Maxima.org members are getting good results with Mobil 1. There is always RedLine too if you are really pushing it hard. I've become a Shaeffer's Supreme synth blend convert and am happy with that decision.

BTW, a VQ35DE is the engine family code for a Nissan 3.5l V-6 with dual overhead cams. Neat engine, have one in my 03 SE.

[ March 08, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
What the **** is a "vq35de"?

nono.gif

A VQ35de is one of the best known 24 valve V6's out there.
The VQ 6 cylinder family has been named one of the worlds ten best engines for ten years in a row by Wards.

One of the most widely used and universally liked engines in the world.

Known for good durability and well as a wide powerband.
It is used in 2k2 plus Maximas, the 6 cylinder 2k2+ Altimas, the 350Z's, the G35, the Murano, 2k2+ QX4's and the FX35.

Its power trim runs from 240 to 287 hp stock, depending on model and tuning.

The previous VQ30 is equally widely used and well-liked.

These are very robust engines and he was telling this board the exact type of engine, to make your recommendation easier.

Fred...
tongue.gif

[ March 08, 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

There arent all that many 10w-40 syns out there that you can easily get here.
0w-40 and 5w-40 are much more common these days.

I like the M1 0w-40 a lot for VQ series applications, as it provides that real easy start-up that VQ series angines crave.

I also expect Redline 5w-40 to be very good but have no experience with it.

be sure to visit your fellow Nissan/Infiniti folks here: nissaninfiniticlub.net/ (our homepage )

Recently we opened an entire new forum dedicated just to the VQ series engine, regardless what platform it
nissaninfiniticlub.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=132

Fred...
smile.gif

[ March 08, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Thanks Palmerwmd,

It's always nice to know : year, and make. Now I know it's a late model 6 cyl. Nissan, which helps me far more than only knowing it's a "vq34de".

I could tell you a lot about a B6304FS engine, but would you know it's in a 95 Volvo 960?

DEWFPO

quote:

I could tell you a lot about a B6304FS engine, but would you know it's in a 95 Volvo 960?

...or how 'bout a Ford 385? (No, that's not cubic inches, it's the designation of the old 429-460 V8 family, just as FE designates the even-older pushrods-thru-the-intake-manifold engines introduced with the '58 models in 332 and 352 cubic inches; these went up thru the 428s used in passenger cars.

Hey Thomas:

I didnt know you were one of us..

Love your stickers!

As a historical note to those that may not know:
Nissaninfiniticlub.net is usually called nico because it's original name was nissaninfinitiownersclub.

As a result we now have a nicoclub.com address as well like it shows on his stickers.

Fred..
smile.gif

[ March 08, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

As to the original question, Castrol Syntec 10w-40 looks awsome, as per the analysis of it in the virgin analysis section. I wouldn't hesitate one bit using it in an application that deems a 10w-40 to be acceptable.

To all those with informative posts thank you. For those who did not know which engine this was it is probably better that you did not give me any advise because you apparently are not familiar with the application. I appreciate all the posts meant to be productive. I will probably be going with the "Euro" blend 5w-40 full synthetic Amsoil oil. The reason for a 40w multigrade is because the manual states it is ok, I live in an area that is relatively hot, and after reading up on BITOG forums I have learned not to be tied down by CAFE. I will do so more reading up on the nissan/infinity sites, but unless I find a reason I am going to try a Xw-40.

Douglas :
I agree with your assessment on using a 40 weight.
How many miles on the engine?

Drew I havent check those yet.
I never really considered the Syntec as it seems UOA's with it done on a brotehr Nissan site ( not mine) were no better than Castrol GTX for 40% the price.
Are we seeing them improve across the board not just the GC?

Douglas: Can you get the M1 5w-40 "SUV oil" in your area?

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Douglas :
I agree with your assessment on using a 40 weight.
How many miles on the engine?

Drew I havent check those yet.
I never really considered the Syntec as it seems UOA's with it done on a brotehr Nissan site ( not mine) were no better than Castrol GTX for 40% the price.
Are we seeing them improve across the board not just the GC?

Douglas: Can you get the M1 5w-40 "SUV oil" in your area?

Fred...
smile.gif

I do not think there has been some major revision of US made Syntec products (like all PAO again and no more fake "synthetic") but the 10w-40 in particular looked great. It is a very low 40 weight, even qualifying for GF-3 fuel economy standards. Plus, the additive levels are good. I'd use it over a 10w-40 mineral oil because of shearing issues with mineral 10w-40s.

quote:

Hey Thomas:

I didnt know you were one of us..

At the time of registering I accidentally put the wrong name in the wrong catagory (stupid late night registration...) so I was not destined to be Pylon_Boy here.

BTW, magnetics are awefully nice to have instead of stickers. The car can still be used to go around places without looking silly!

palmerwmd - The engine has 48K right now. I have not really looked for the M1 SUV oil because I have had the amsoil in the pathfinder. I have heard good things about it. I have mostly stuck with amsoil because the more research I do the better it looks once you get past their propaganda (i.e. 25k oil changes) that has been shown not to pan out (mostly by people in this forum with UOA). I get the M1 for my toyota from Costco, if they get the SUV formula in I'll give it a go.

quote:

quote:

What the **** is a "vq35de"?

nono.gif

A VQ35de is one of the best known 24 valve V6's out there.
The VQ 6 cylinder family has been named one of the worlds ten best engines for ten years in a row by Wards.

One of the most widely used and universally liked engines in the world.

Yeah, the transmissions are another
rolleyes.gif

I also have the same engine in my 03 max, I use 5w-30 and 10w-30 in it but if i had to use a 10w-40 it would be amsoil.

Known for good durability and well as a wide powerband.
It is used in 2k2 plus Maximas, the 6 cylinder 2k2+ Altimas, the 350Z's, the G35, the Murano, 2k2+ QX4's and the FX35.

The previous VQ30 is equally widely used and well-liked.

These are very robust engines and he was telling this board the exact type of engine, to make your recommendation easier.

Fred...
tongue.gif

quote:

Fred...
tongue.gif

Supposedly for 05, it will be available line-up wide with the exception of the Sentra (dropping the VG33 from the Frontier and Xterra and replacing it with the VQ35DE) I personally would like to see a VQ shoehorned into a Spec-V, I'd get one in a heartbeat
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back