Lets Talk Soda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

I wish there was sugar in soda

Maybe you oughta buy your soda on Earth and not on Optimus Prime next time.
wink.gif

By the way, what's likely as unhealthy as the high sugar content, the articficial sweetener and the preservatives, is the high phosphorus content in soda. Phosphorus can cause calcium deficiencies and demineralization of bones.

What i meant was regular old table sugar or cane sugar. Not **** like hfcs which has been modified a billion times or artifical sweeteners which are another story.

Diet Coke with Lime for me. Or diet Coke. Or Diet Pepsi. Or when I'm in the mood, regular any of the above. I also like Root beer (A&W best) and Green River.

Real Sugar: there's *one* Dr. Pepper bottling plant in central Texas that still uses real cane sugar for sweetening. If you want, you could look it up & even order over the internet.

What sodas do I like? To keep in the fridge at home, #1 is Fresca. Sometimes Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Sprite or 7-Up(I like the Sprite much better, the 7-Up is too sweet). That's about it. If I get a combo at Burger King/etc, that's the rare occasion when I get the real thing- a non-diet Coca-Cola. That happens maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

The diet sodas at home? Never more than one a day, usually only 2 or 3 a week.

As a kid, I thought the world's best treat was an ice-cold cold grape soda.
grin.gif
I make one today that's even better than the old Grapettes & NuGrapes of the late '50s-mid '60s.

Uncle Stu's easy Great Grape soda: To a tall glass with ice cubes: Fill with Diet Sprite, leave about an inch unfilled, & top that off with real grape juice. A quick stir, & that's it! For a good variation, try it with Fresca instead.
wink.gif

My kidneys have been hurting off and on for a few years now so I think I'm going to have to cut back a little and try some of that water stuff my wife keeps telling me about.

I used to be a big coke drinker. like 6-8 cans a day. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes in his mid 40's. After 20 yrs of being a diabetic, he had a stroke last year. It looked like I was becoming a diabetic. I was having the diabetic symptoms of polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia. So I switched to diet coke/coca cola zero and starting drinking water more. I lost 10 pounds in two weeks with maintaining my normal eating habits.

I drink 1-2 sodas a day, mostly Fresca and Coke Zero. Had to go to diet sodas last year because of high triglycerides. Coke Zero tastes very good now, and I actually prefer it over the 'real' Coke.

My remaining teeth thank me for mostly drinking universal solvent straight from the tap despite knowing what fish do in it.

I can handle that. I eat my own cooking.

My cousin ate a fried raccoon t@rd on a hunting trip without realizing it, until his brothers told him afterwards. He said it was kinda' dry.

My remaining teeth and I told yah' that.

I'm a reformed Mountain Dew addict. When my metabolism slowed down (I'm entering my lazy mid-30s) the weight started packing on, so the "carbonated sugar water with caffeine" is now off the list of available beverages. Now it's bottled water, sometimes with Crystal Light added so I can stand to drink it.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Real Sugar: there's *one* Dr. Pepper bottling plant in central Texas that still uses real cane sugar for sweetening. If you want, you could look it up & even order over the internet.

From Dublin, Texas (SW of Fort Worth). Decidedly better. I used to go through there twice weekly, and usually picked some up. Glass bottles.

Same with Coca-Cola bottled in Mexico. Cane sugar: accept no substitutes. Glass bottles: accept no substitutes.

I like all the small-batch, custom-brew sodas that show up at the specialty markets, so long as cane sugar is used.

Have even been buying 2-gallon kegs of root beer for when the family kids are over (or we're over there).

fruit.gif

Store brand Diet Balck Cherry from Hy-Vee Food Stores. Best diet I have ingested.. Made with Splenda not Nutrasweet.
stirthepot.gif

Never touch the stuff. The gum'mint recommends people in my profession not consume anything with aspartame because of it's possible toxicity and risk of seizures. Good thing too as I find the taste awful. Especially diet.

I've heard Kosher Coke has real cane sugar, and it pops up in time for Passover. Not personally affected so I'm not sure of the rules. One could theoretically stock up then.

There's a place up from here that bottles their own root beer in 1/2 gallon plastic milk/juice bottles, with the pop-off top. I don't see how that holds the pressure.

Quote:

Quickbeam, I'm interested in how they advise not to touch the stuff (and what you do ?)

I'm a mechanic who works in coporate aviation on the side. Although the FAA doesn't prohibit consumption of aspartame they recommended pilots limit intake or avoid it altogether. I've read enough about the stuff to heed their advice. Some of it is obviously fear mongering but the Feds seem to feel some is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back