GC 0W30 vs M1 0W40 for LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been awhile since I've been here, but it's good to be back.
cool.gif
I've searched this site for oil analyses of these 2 oils for LS1's, but can't seem to find an analysis for the 0W40. I have a 99 Camaro SS with 77k on it, and am using 0W40 with K@N filters, but the Autozones here do carry the GC. I know both of these oils are close, but which one would give better wear for LS1's like mine? Mine does slap some when cold but doesn't burn any oil.

Jason

A UOA on your vehicle using both oils is the only way to find out for sure. Otherwise, it's a guessing game.

The consensus, from what I can gather, is that once you find out about GC, you must use it or the elves will come for you. Trust me, they're in my dreams....& they're getting closer.
Soon, I will probably
bowdown.gif
to the
fruit.gif
elves & their magic elixir.

This may help you... http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009369 I also studied and read till my eyeballs fell out:) My LS1 is low miles but modified quite a bit....presently I am running Amsoil 10-40 High Performance with a Amsoil filter...the concensus on many LS1 boards is the Mobil 1 0-40 or Amsoil 10-40...the German Castrol 0-30 is impossible to find down here....doesn't exist.....

My friend at work put M1 0w-40 in his Vette. It's the same guy that I posted that UOA of with the 10w-30 M1. He isn't happy with the 0w-40. Said it is making his engine louder. I told him to switch to GC. It's seems to be readily available anywhere now. Surprised this oil is making the engine more noisy. Even when it's fully warmed up.
dunno.gif

from what I have read and seen, doesn't the Mobil 1 0w40 shear down to a 30 weight rather quickly?? I know I read one post by Terry that mentioned it should be called a 0w30. GC is a very thick 30 weight (almost a 40 weight) and doesn't seem to shear nearly as fast.

feel free to correct me if I am wrong
smile.gif

Paul

[ March 10, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: JRHAWK9 ]

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
the Autozones here do carry the GC.

Jason

hmm, Evansville, IN eh?? Not -too- far from me, I could take care of that for you
wink.gif
tongue.gif
I just raided and cleaned out 7 AZ's in my neck of the woods.

BTW, I plan on running GC in my Hawk, although if I could'nt find enough around the area to last awhile my second choice would have been Mobil 1 0w40.

Paul

buster, the whole noise issue is a hard one to call! With out a DB meter it is hard to tell if it is noiser or not. It might just be that their is now more noise that he is able to hear. The freq. of the vibrations might have shifted into a more audiable range. We do not know really if what we are able to hear translates into more wear or not? I now I like less noise myself!

I also think that it is a preety safe bet that when switching from almost any oil to M1 we should expect more noise! This just seems to be a trait of M1! The only possable exception might be the M1R it did seem rather quite in my engine compared to regular M1!

FWIW, I tried M1 0W40 in my WRX after running M1 5W30. I too thought the valvetrain was louder when hot with the 40 - even early on in the OCI. Doesn't seem to make much sense....

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
GC hands down will be the better oil.

Patman has evidence of this.

Hi there BlazerLT
lol.gif

This may be true for the 04 GC, but I dont think the 05 is GC at all.

quote:

Originally posted by 98RegalGS:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
GC hands down will be the better oil.

Patman has evidence of this.

Hi there BlazerLT
lol.gif

This may be true for the 04 GC, but I dont think the 05 is GC at all.

I am very curious to see a VOA/UOA on this new 05 production GC.I bet it still turns out great numbers
cool.gif
!

I wanted to get my hands on 05 production to run in my GTI but I ended up putting in late 04 stuff(M042376ATW231140 10:05).

I can't tell what I got until I open the box which I gotta buy first!

How do you know if the GC is 05 or 04? I bought three cases of Gc today and all were green if that is the identification factor.

Look at the first 2 digits after the M in the serial number.M04=2004,M05=2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back