New Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I love my Seikos. I have a big old mechanical diver that I got when I graduated from college some time ago, and it still keeps excellent time. For the past 5 years, I've mostly worn my other Seiko, a solar powered diver. I hate changing batteries.

I've had a n umber of Seiko's and this is my first Kinetic model.
We'll see how that goes, but I will presume it will be as good as my others, which is to say, excellent.

Scott

I have a Seiko Kinetic Titanium and an Omega Speedmaster Day/Date automatic. I like them both for different reasons.

It's not all about keeping time accurately. I don't mind having to set my watch once a week (but then again I am on an oil changing forum so maintenance has never been an issue for me). I love the mechanical Omega, and boy is it durable.

However, the Seiko kept unbeleivably accurate time. I think it would lose about 5 seconds a year (using a radio clock as reference).

The one thing I didn't like about the Seiko was that it had a mineral crystal instead of a sapphire. The mineral crystal got scratched to all heck. I've run my Omega against a stucco wall and was amazed to find it came out without a scratch.

It sounds like you got a great watch. You'll be happy with the sapphire crytstal. My Seiko has served me well, I am sure you will have the same experience.

I am hoping the sapphire will be very durable!

BTW, the best watches are old, American-made railroad watches!
I have a small collection of those, and if I had the money, I'd have a room full of them.
Opening the backs of those and looking at all the handmade parts is amazing. Works of art...and sadly, no longer done. Well, maybe they are, but they'd cost a fortune...

Scott

-

Here's my trusty Seiko Solar Diver.

-

But I like this too.

-

But I really, really like this one.

Wow, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that oil, fine watches, and cars go hand in hand
tongue.gif

ScottB: Congrats on your new watch! Looks fantastic

Looks like we have some very unique/expensive watch owners around here, I agree someone should make a show&tell thread.

BTW you can probably tell what I drive from my name, but that will soon (hopefully) be replaced by a '07 BMW 530i.

Wow - nice ride(s) TBG!
I have a nice RADO that my dad gave me too - I'm ordering a new band for it, but even that is almost $200!
I love watches, cars, espresso, computers, and motorcycles...

All fun!
smile.gif

Okay, here's my 1997 Sinn, model 103 Ti Ar, pilot chronograph:

- pure titanium case and band
- screw-down crown
- antimagnetic
- shockproof
- 20 bar/200m water resistant
- saphire crystal
- saphire screwback
- dry cartridge system for extended service interval, with color indicator window
- Argon gas filling to enable extended service interval
- modified, automatic Valjoux 7750 movement
- temperature and position-adjusted, regulated, certified chronometer

Updated/modified in 2006:

- updated dry cartridge installed
- chronograph second hand replaced with orange type (was white before)
- tritium dial replaced with non-active dial with Superluminova indices and hands (glows brighter and does not fade over the years like tritium. Also, indicesm numerals and hands do not turn beige over time; also less hazardous to watchmaker.)

-

-

I blurred the serial number. Nobody's business...
wink.gif

-

Note the dry cartridge indicator window. Since condensation and remaining moisture in air is an issue with all conventional, mechanical watches, this watch is filled with Argon gas. Even though the Argon gas will leak out over time, the combination of the gas filling and the moisture-absorbing dry cartridge (filled with copper sulfate), enables extended service intervals. A mechanical watch needs usually to be serviced (take apart, cleaned, lubed, adjusted) every two to three years. The Sinn can go twice as long. Service is due when the color in the cartridge window has gone from white to blue (saturation point). After 5 years the cartridge was not yet near the saturation point. Sinn has also developed a lube-less watch escapement (DIAPAL), which is available in some of their latest model.

Are you a sinner?
wink.gif

Actually, Sinn has been known quite well in the US for years -- just not to the casual watch freak. Before Sinn started marketing their watches under the Sinn label, they were, and still are, available under "Bell&Ross" outside Germany. Bell&Ross has been tremendously successful in Japan. Beware, though. Sinn and Bell&Ross versions may not be identical and can even have totally different movements. For example, Sinn discontinued their Spacelab D1 Mission watch, the model 142, once they could not source the Lemania 5100 movement anymore. However, Bell&Ross keept selling the watch as the Space 3 model, but with the bread-and-butter Valjoux 7750 or 7760. movement.

Sinn is great if you can go and buy directly from the factory, which used to be the only way to buy a Sinn. Now I appears there are retailers, but that makes the watches much more expensive.

Sinn has been around for several decades and supplies technical watches to German Border Guard (Bundesgrenzschutz) and combat diving units.

Recently, Sinn has begun an unholy alliance with Glashütte, who now make over half of Sinn watch cases. I hope Sinn will remain a small company, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back