Cut open a 1986 Fram 3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments later; dinner is brewing. Got four of these for $.25 at a yard sale so I had to cut one open before using the other three on my car.
grin.gif

Calculated 96 sq inches of filter area. Can is 1/32 or 0.7mm thick.

-

-

-

-

Looks like the one I dissected a year ago. I guess they haven't gone downhill.

They sucked in the old days too.
grin.gif

Did the filter media feel brittle?

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Ok, it's a 1988, not a 1986. The box lists some funny applications and possibly obsolete cross references. My Saturns were still pipe dreams but apparantly an OE Yugo filter will fit!
 -

The media felt regular, though I haven't felt media before. It didn't feel weakened or decayed and still flexed without busting. It was impossible to tear from the cardboard and I needed a knife. The glue job was A+. Stretching the media and generally torturing it didn't tear it. Maybe this is before their quality really slipped?
dunno.gif
The pleats were even except for one which I figure was the end one. The nitrile rubber felt like regular nitrile rubber, not stiff, flaky, brittle or anything. As an experiment in storing filters I'd say this one's usable insomuch as I don't expect a catastrophic failure. So I'm going to use the other three.

PS, Zayre, remember them? They turned into Ames which of course recently went bankrupt. And $3.49 for a filter in 1988-- what was minimum wage then, $3.20? This thing'd be a six dollar filter today. And I paid six cents.
grin.gif

Eljefino, how accurate was you shell thickness measurment? 1/31 = 0.031 is thicker than most high end filter bodies now.

Also, do new Frams have a string around them?

I cut open some similar vintage unused frams 6 or 7 years ago. One of them had an impartially glued on end cap with a clear gap.

Used this (low quality) caliper, at this reading:

-

Ain't too proud to admit if I screwed something up. I did scrape away random debris from the cutting process to get a good read on the can.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:

PS, Zayre, remember them? They turned into Ames which of course recently went bankrupt. And $3.49 for a filter in 1988-- what was minimum wage then, $3.20? This thing'd be a six dollar filter today. And I paid six cents.
grin.gif

I remember them... Ames bought them back in the late 80's I'd say. I used to buy the clearanced out Atari 2600 games there. I miss Ames too... their furniture was waaaaay better than Wal-mart's stuff.

a quick search found this rather interesting site http://www.geocities.com/zayre88/

-Bret

Interesting find. You are kidding about using them aren't you?

I think 1988 was the good old days when I could keep my self in oil filters hitting the K-Mart $2 AC sales, later 2 for $5. After Ames bought out Hill's, they quit stocking any brands I was buying. I know Hill's carried Pennzoil, and maybe AC. Ames was only about 2 miles away, but I would drive 5-6 to get to K-Mart or Wally's for AC and Pennzoil.

Yeah I'm using them for a 3000 mile OCI. To play it safe I'll do it in summer so I'm not pumping molasses-oil through them but my sample showed no defects and even tolerable construction.

Just think one of the orginal first oil nuts like us stocked up on those things in 1988.
They been sitting for almost 20 years!
shocked.gif

For those that think that Fram "was good, but has gotten cheaper over the years", told you so.
lol.gif

I have an even older Fram I cut apart, same construction.

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
Just think one of the orginal first oil nuts like us stocked up on those things in 1988.

And I was also one of the nuts who used to buy these filters back then! In 1988 I bought a brand new Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, and the only filters I ran on it were the Fram PH3614s! I changed my oil every 3000 km too (1800 miles!) with Castrol XLR 10w30. (anyone else remember XLR?)

My 85 Omni saw nothing but Fram PH3614 and Castrol 20W-50 for 165K. Still running strong when I sold it. I'd always stock up when the filter went on sale for $2. That and 50¢ oil made for very cheap maintenance at a time when I was saving money. If you do the math it only cost me about $300 to maintain the oil for the life of the car.

[ June 02, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

I cut up one from 1991 and posted the results here. The bottom line is no matter what year the filter was made, with Fram, nothing changes. Same *** filter, same mediocre price.

But it is neat to see a "Zayre" price tag on it! THAT's ancient!!!

Hey! I got one of those, same number, about the same vintage. Found it in the trunk of a parts car I picked up a few years ago. If I ever sell one of my mopars, I'll put it on first, as a sales incentive.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back