The Bridgestone tires just won't balance !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colt,

Thanks, again.

But The issue with the rim edge was about the rim, not the tire. The reason that I asked is that a Hunter GSP9700 measures run out and when it is used to measure rim run nout, the operators sometimes use unusual, weird, incorrect, etc. locations to do that.

But since the Firstone store did not have one, it's mute point.

But let me go back a step.

You said: "....and every time I've had the tires balanced the vibration was different...."

Would you expand on that? In what way was it different?

You also said: "....The Firestone manager said two of my stock rims were not true.
The bad wheels are on the back now....."

This explains why you feel the vibration in the seat of your pants. It would be interesting if you took the "bad" rims and put them in the front. If it's the tires and wheels, then the vibration should move to the steering wheel.

quote:

Originally posted by CapriRacer:
Colt,

Thanks, again.

But The issue with the rim edge was about the rim, not the tire. The reason that I asked is that a Hunter GSP9700 measures run out and when it is used to measure rim run nout, the operators sometimes use unusual, weird, incorrect, etc. locations to do that.

But since the Firstone store did not have one, it's mute point.

But let me go back a step.

You said: "....and every time I've had the tires balanced the vibration was different...."

Would you expand on that? In what way was it different?

You also said: "....The Firestone manager said two of my stock rims were not true.
The bad wheels are on the back now....."

This explains why you feel the vibration in the seat of your pants. It would be interesting if you took the "bad" rims and put them in the front. If it's the tires and wheels, then the vibration should move to the steering wheel.

Not counting Firestone,I've been to 3 different places for balancing.
Each place the vibration was a bit different.
The balance from Firestone has the least vibration but on a new set of tires.

I would think the bad rims would produce a much worse vibration at the steering wheel.
I know they're bad so I'll just change them with the new rims.
It seem Ford in '02-04 had a alloy rim as a spare but in '05 they went to a cost saving black steel rim.
mad.gif

Then I would only need one rim.

I also bought a rim off ebay.
The rim was said to be a 9 of 10 in condition.
The guy packed the rim like crap which caused scratches on the edge.
I emailed him and we came top an agreement of$100 with shipping.So he gave me a credit of $60 saving him bad feedback.
That's why I went with new rims from Ford and paid the price.
I'll use that rim on the spare.
This whole thing has been a major hassle and its not over yet..

OK.
Just picked up the truck from a Ford dealer who had the Hunter 9700 machine and a tech who actually knew how to use it.
Just had the front tires done at this point because Force balancing is expensive.At least at Ford.
$45 per tire!
Just drove home and there was no steering wheel vibration at 50-70 MPH.
Tomorrow should be the test as after the previous balancings,things were fine until the next day or two.
I do see for the first time a 2.5" long weight on the outside of one rim.Bigger than anybody else put on.
Hope it works.Then I'll do the rears with the new wheels.

[ May 18, 2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

Road force balancing works well.
Got the rears done at a tire shop for $12.50 ea and mounted tires on two new rims.
$25 for two Road Force Balancings and the ******* dealer charged $90 for just two RF front tire balancings.
I hate dealer service.
Always a ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back