Toyota Matrix v. Pontiac Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

What'll be interesting with the Caliber will be the turbocharged 2.4l w/300hp SRT4. At under $25K, it'll be the cheapest 300hp ride out there; should be fun to witness a four-door hatchback stay competitive with a Mustang GT.

Yes, but the thing is even more uglier than the Vibe.
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

the calibers not that bad. once you look at it for a while it starts to grow on you.

the neon srt-4 kept up with mustang gt's (stock of course, and not an 05)

no i still dont like the looks of the aztek.

we shall see about the caliber. seems like a decent car but they better not cheap out like they did on the neon.

These vehicles are produced by the same people in the same plant along the same production line. The fact that Consumer Reports gives the two cars a different rating points to unreliable testing and/or statistical methods on their part, not any difference in the vehicles.

Also, I agree with one of the other members here that resale value is over-rated. Most people won't see the benefit of it, especially since dealers will only give you wholesale price for your trade in, but will turn around and sell it for retail. If I was a used car buyer, I'd definitely go for the Vibe, considering it's the same car and would have a lower price.

I agree with your assessment. However, I like the looks of the Vibe (05+) better. I test drove one, and it was a fun car. I don't know if I like the looks $1000 more? I ended up buying new, so I couldn't quite afford one...

There are three Matrix and 2 Vibe models. The base Vibe is higher contented than the base Matrix. Not a full grand more but it's easier to get a deal on a Vibe and with almost constant rebates the price to own long or short term can go either way. Looks wise, the Vibe is a bit more mature. Matrix kinda rice van and Vibe a faux SUV. The only advantage I see for the Matrix is that Toyota dealers will know the car better and the warranty though you're not taking a big risk with the base powertrains. I had a Vibe GT and I can understand them dropping that model. It's a small fraction of sales (manual only)and these get modded a lot in ways that can cause failures. Missed shifts are common but I never understood why. I've had a few fun cars but it was the most fun vehicle I've owned. Had a unichip, larger rear bar, ProKits (drop gave sedan like clearances without the Matrix clading). Looked box stock unless there was another next to it, except for the 16 X 7.5 Borbet Es.

[ March 17, 2006, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: goodvibes ]

the vibe may be a "domestic" but I'm shopping for it right now. I got $2200 in GM card earnings to spend. I got edmunds dealer quote. out of the four, 3 responded. out of those 3, one told me "I got the car come on down for a test drive" with no quote. One with a quote of 500 under msrp and the other of 800 under msrp with a $299 advertising fee.
mad.gif
I gave them an otd price of invoice minus holdback with no adv or doc fees plus tax,title, and license. no response.
grin.gif

I checked the Kelly Blue Book "trade-in values" for both vehicles given a 2004 model year with 20,000 miles in excellent condition. Although the Vibe had a roof rack & the Matrix didn't, similarly equipped base-ish models showed the following:

2004 Pontiac Vibe $11,250
2004 Toyota Matrix 12,400

(difference) ($1,150)

The "private sale" difference for both models was similar. (And I think the Pontiac had a higher retail price at purchase and included slightly more std equipment). This looks to me like a significant resell value difference that I would attribute to the added value associated with the Toyota name. Can't be all attributable to the extra Matrix powertrain warranty (60 mo. v 36 mo.), IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
CJM, no, but the inside of my mom's Asstek is very nice, too. It's also very comfortable to drive and rides very well. I'm sure the Honda is similarly nice inside, although Honda's seats usually hit me wrong (I've ridden in several). I still would NEVER own either one. They're too ugly. We affectionately call my mom's red Asstek the BRRB (pronounced just as it's spelled) for Big Red Rolling Butt.
smile.gif

No i am not talking about niceness of interior of Honda element. I was talking about the head room in the front seats. a 7 feet can drive it without any problem. Yes its butt ugly, but benefits weighs it out.

I actually tried carsdirect.com, I got one car dealer quote from the same internet sales manager on edmunds.com. he quoted me a vibe with loaded options that I did not ask for and the wrong color. then I went to edmunds.com and got the reported results above. but last night, I went to pontiac.com to locate dealers. I requested a quote from 15 pontiac dealers within 60 miles of me. I just checked my email box nothing yet.

quote:

I requested a quote from 15 pontiac dealers within 60 miles of me.

Make them bid against each other.
Provide the exact specs you're looking for, also let them now how flexible you are (or not) on the options and color.
Tell them that you're ready to buy NOW, that you contacted 15 dealerships with exactly the same request.

Yes, and also tell them you really want a Matrix! Make them think the Vibe is a second, compromised choice. And if you can't get a really good deal on a Vibe, you're going to make a trip and get what you really want...a Toyota! (They're already intimidated by Toyota, so use it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back