Starting a car thats been sitting for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent started my wrx for about 4 months now, and I probably wont be ready to fire it up for at least two more months. The oil in the car is Rotella T Synth 5w40, + 5oz SX-UP, and a oversize baldwin oil filter. Theres only 1k miles on the oil.

My plan was to crank the engine for 10 second intervals with no spark and fuel until my pressure gauge is reading some pressure, then start it. I will probably also put some drygas or something like that in the gas, although there is already FP in it now.

Car has 80K on it and engine has perfect compression.

Right now the battery is disconnected. Is there anything else you guys recommend I do while the car is sitting?

Should I change the oil and/or filter before I start it?

On cars with distributors, we used to run the oil pump with a dril for a minute to prelube the engine. Since I'm pretty sure your car has no distributor, I agree with cranking it for a few seconds to get some oil to those bearings before the engine starts making power.

Maybe a thicker oil would work better next time you store it? I have had engines apart that had 0w30 and 10w30 oils in them, and the 10w30 seemed to stick much better than the 0w30, which ran off and dried up.

I have done that with cars with distributors too. Good point on the thickness. What do people think about the water that will most likely be present in the oil? No big deal just burn it off or will it affect wear much? Im betting the TBN is still good and the oil is pretty clean.

I would just start it...cumatada (don't worry) I have had lot's of equiptment sit for months even years and started them. The only thing you might change is put a pan heater on if the car is outside or if you have a heated garage no worries. Fire it off
128.gif

Its in an unheated barn. I have started my taurus and my chevy van after months before, but the wrx is kind of my baby.
smile.gif
It would probably be all right but I think I will still crank it.

It won't hurt to take any precautions you may choose, but I agree with LCM, just go ahead and start it, the car should be okay.

I have a Mitsubishi Fuso that has a button just for that purpose. The manual says if it hasn't been started in something like 2 weeks, push that button for a minute or so (I forget exactly) before starting it. This button runs the engine without the ability to start.

Yes, you can just start it, but you will have increased wear. You don't want the pressure of a running engine until you have circulated fresh oil through the bearings, rings and valve train.

Don't see any benefit on draining some oil to dump over the top of the motor. You'll probably get whatever water the oil is floating on out of the system though.

Just crank the motor over without spark/fuel and check your oil pressure gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back