Should I use 5W20 or 5W30 in Honda 3.5L in a Saturn Vue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since an oil change is costing over 35 dollars at the dealership(because of that special 5W20 oil)
rolleyes.gif
and it usually costs my wife over an hour and a half of her time, I'm going to start changing the oil in her 2004 Saturn Vue.

Nice engine and she has almost 50K on it. It has seen anything from whatever the dealer uses in bulk or stuff that we gave them to put in(Motorcraft 5W20 Synth Blend and Castrol 5W20)

After reading here how 5W20 was pretty much being used just to get the CAFE numbers up I'm wonder if the 3.5L even needs it? If I use 5W30 will her MPG take a decent hit?

It's not like the 5W20 in my area is all that hard to find but is there any benefit to using it over 5W30?

Any recommendations for a good oil for the Honda 3.5L?

$35 dollars for an oil change "due to the special oil". Geez. They're ripping the customers off!!!

5w-20 and 5w-30 costs almost the same!

I've used both viscosities in our 04 Vue V6 and they both work well. My fave is Pennzoil 5w-20 in the dino flavor, M1 5w-20 in the synth...

I've been impressed with Pennzoil 5w-20 in my Dads 2005 V6 AWD Vue.

I'd say any of the 5w-20s will preform excellent in your engine!

quote:

Since an oil change is costing over 35 dollars at the dealership(because of that special 5W20 oil)

They don't call them STEALERSHIPS for nothing....
thumbsdown.gif
(I really dislike car dealerships.. Here is another reason...)
twak.gif

Nice outfit! I really like my Dads and the MPG is really great for the size and ride the SUV has.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Might as well have all three vue people chime in :p (ToyotaNsaturn, BillinUtah, burnout)

I'm running GC 0w-30 currently in my vue, came back with a great analysis report.

As far as changing viscosities, I don't think it really matters at all. The 3.5L V6 is spec'd for much thicker oils in different climates not in the US. I doubt the dealer would do this, but see if they'll put in 5w-30 and take off the 'special oil charge.' You won't notice a difference.

offtopic.gif
just a quick question, what kind of mpg are you getting with the vue v6 or 4 cyl

When I had my 2004 V6 Vue I got anywhere from 23-27mpg depending on traffic and how often I mashed the gas...great engine that Honda 3.5L

Here's a nice prescription for a honda V6. Pennzoil 5w-20 and lube control. Seems to have been endorsed and perhaps prescribed by Terry Dyson and has provided an awefully nice UOA.

It says alot for PZ, LC and of course the value of Terry Dyson's input.

I think I'm going to take advantage of this prescription for my wife's Acura 3.2 TL, however I'm not sure if it is advantageous for all honda v6's.

Check it out for what it's worth.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002913#000007

quote:

just a quick question, what kind of mpg are you getting with the vue v6 or 4 cyl

My Dad has the AWD V6 and so far the best MPG has been 29 and worst is 22.

His average to date is 25.4 and drives 60city and 40% hwy.

He does drive for MPG though.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I've run M1 non-EP 5W30 and Motorcraft 5W20 in mine. Can't tell any difference in mpg, perf, or whatever.
Using OLM which signals change @ about 5500 miles.

My guess is in this car the trans will shoot craps long before the engine.

If it were mine, MoCraft or Castrol Syntec Blend 5-20 and Bocsh Premium or WIX filter.

The dealer material and disposal costs are around $8-$10, so they make $25 for 30 minutes of labor.

DIY for $15 and you have better oil/filter and you know for sure the job was done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back