BP Visco 5000 5W40 syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I'm impressed with this oil in my Mazda turbo. Excellent consumption after hard driving on some warm days (38C) particularly when you consider it's a thin (13.95 cSt) 40W and engine has 205,000kms up. Using 3oz RX maint dose and added 125ml Militec-1 on Saturday. Seems strange this excellent oil isn't available in NA but then maybe Castrol Syntec 5W40 is the same oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
BP has improved the Visco 7000 0w40 even more, now with vis@100C of 12.9 cSt!

Which is very similar to Castrol 0W-40. Not only clear why some 0W-40 oils, icluding BP and Castrol 0W-40 have lower Flash Point then their 0W-30 grades. 180 C, though mesured at closed cup, is not expressive: at open cup it will be 200-210 C.

As for BP 5000, Castrol Synthec and Magnatec in 5W-40, it's quite possible that now their compositions, including additive chemistry, are equal or at least very close: blend of hydrocracked and esters oils. Just the base oils may differ depending on their source/country.

I'm reading this, going 'where can I buy this stuff'. Then I see the locations. You would think these companies would bring their best products to the US.

BTW, there loving Militec in Iraq. The issue CLP attacts the sand and gums up the M-16s. The Militec doesn't. Can't see adding it to motor oil though.

Mike, Militec sell additives for engines and transmissions and the like also.

Search and you shall find (I won't post a link.

As to the oil companies selling their best products in the U.S......most aussies use 10,000km (6000 miles) oil changes, on simple dinos like GTX.

So the oil manufacturers have an interest in providing a decent oil, as if engines sludge or die from manufacturers recommended intervals, the product gets a bad name.

Also, we pay $20 for 5 litres of GTX, and about $15 per litre for Mobil 1 at K-Mart. I suppose that we're paying for quality........yeah right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back